Electric heater blasted off for mars

Page 1 of 2
For twenty something years these space heaters have worked great, with few problems. Other than two have needed new switches. Yesterday, I plugged in a heater, turned it on, walked out of the room for a few minutes, when I heard a jet engine blast off. I had to think about it for a few seconds because I had been watching a show on TV about space travel. I finally realized that sound wasn't the TV. When I ran into the room, the heater was blasting fire and noise like a rocket going to the moon. That was the heater that still had the original switches. When I plugged it in I was thinking about how good a heater it had been. Its made me have doubts about these other two heaters.
This is the sort of thing you hear about happening to other people, never expect it to happen to you. Over the last ten years two houses in my neighborhood have burned down, from space heaters catching on fire. These heaters work good enough that I save money by not having to run the central heating as often. They're oil filled, and use little energy to heat up.
If I hadn't been in such a hurry to unplug it, I should have taken a video of it.
When I get the new heaters, I just ordered, I hope they last as long as the old ones.

Plug it in outdoors and make your video!
If it lands on Mars, sell it to NASA :) (But that would require a 249 million mile extension cord..... which is 1,314,720,000,000 feet)
On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 18:21:45 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

He can use bluetooth.

One of the radiator-looking oil filled heaters has been recalled. Does yours look like a radiator. Might it have been recalled?
My next door n'bor gave one to me, without my asking for it -- I can't remember if I wa to fix it or to keep it -- and googling, maybe for a manual (as simple as they are) I came across the recall. I told him about the recall and asked him what he wanted to do it. I left him a note and he never got back to me so I put it on his front porch, and that was the last I heard of it. This about 10 years ago or so. Your heater?

Oh, yeah, right.

It is a radiator style heater. It's probably, at least 25 years old. So it's been a good heater, and I got my money's worth out of it.
It's already in the trash and been picked up, so too late to video it. I still have two other old heaters, just like the one that blew up. I checked them out today. They seem to be alright. Every time they make a noise warming up I get worried their going to explode in flames, and burn the house down. I hate to throw them away, since they still work.
These two new heaters work great. I hope they last as long, they're radiator style too.
On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 12:59:00 AM UTC-6, jasper smith wrote:

Yes, certainly a good heater since it nearly burned the house down...I say you're a troll (or brainless).
On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 9:24:55 AM UTC-5, bob_villain wrote:

He said it's *been* a good heater, not that it still is. I have had cars that had *been* good cars...until they weren't.
Nov 15DerbyDad03 wrote: "- show quoted text - He said it's *been* a good heater, not that it still is. I have had cars that had *been* good cars...until they weren't. "
Some folks are too quick to calling someone else a "troll" This stems from the same ignorance, impatience, and intolerance that leads to racist name calling.
On Friday, November 13, 2015 at 7:46:41 AM UTC-5, jasper smith wrote:

n a heater, turned it on, walked out of the room for a few minutes, when I heard a jet engine blast off. I had to think about it for a few seconds bec ause I had been watching a show on TV about space travel. I finally realize d that sound wasn't the TV. When I ran into the room, the heater was blasti ng fire and noise like a rocket going to the moon. That was the heater that still had the original switches. When I plugged it in I was thinking about how good a heater it had been. Its made me have doubts about these other t wo heaters.

borhood have burned down, from space heaters catching on fire. These heater s work good enough that I save money by not having to run the central heati ng as often. They're oil filled, and use little energy to heat up.

Do us a favor and post a picture of the damaged unit. I'd like to see where it caught fire.
Was the oil buring or was it an electrical fire in switch/thermostat area? I assume electrical, but the "blasting fire and noise" makes me wonder what part of an oil filter heater would do that.
On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 9:00:28 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

in a heater, turned it on, walked out of the room for a few minutes, when I heard a jet engine blast off. I had to think about it for a few seconds b ecause I had been watching a show on TV about space travel. I finally reali zed that sound wasn't the TV. When I ran into the room, the heater was blas ting fire and noise like a rocket going to the moon. That was the heater th at still had the original switches. When I plugged it in I was thinking abo ut how good a heater it had been. Its made me have doubts about these other two heaters.

ghborhood have burned down, from space heaters catching on fire. These heat ers work good enough that I save money by not having to run the central hea ting as often. They're oil filled, and use little energy to heat up.

at part of an oil filter heater would do that.
Oil *filled* heater, not oil *filtered*. Darn iPad.

It's already been picked up by the trash truck. It did start from an electrical short.
There's a seam where the radiator section fit together, that was where the flames were coming from.
On Sunday, November 15, 2015 at 8:26:04 PM UTC-5, jasper smith wrote:

ed in a heater, turned it on, walked out of the room for a few minutes, whe n I heard a jet engine blast off. I had to think about it for a few seconds because I had been watching a show on TV about space travel. I finally rea lized that sound wasn't the TV. When I ran into the room, the heater was bl asting fire and noise like a rocket going to the moon. That was the heater that still had the original switches. When I plugged it in I was thinking a bout how good a heater it had been. Its made me have doubts about these oth er two heaters.

eighborhood have burned down, from space heaters catching on fire. These he aters work good enough that I save money by not having to run the central h eating as often. They're oil filled, and use little energy to heat up.

what part of an oil filter heater would do that.

Did you make special arrangements for its disposal? They are oil filled and should be disposed of properly.
The following are a few excerpts from product manuals and a recycling website:
At the end of its working life, the product must not be disposed of as urban waste. It must be taken to a special local authority differentiated waste collection center or to a dealer providing this service.
...and...
This product contains oil and must be disposed of correctly. Do not dispose with general household waste. Take it to your nearest waste management center for processing.
...and...
Consumers who no longer wish to use an oil heater cannot just place the item into the trash as it is considered a hazardous waste item.

I didn't know it needed special handling to dispose of it. I tossed it in the trash like anything else.
No telling where the old manuals are after all these years. I just read the new manuals that came with the new heaters and they don't say any special handling is required for disposal.
jasper smith posted for all of us...

I had a similar unit. It was recalled because it would leak or burst at the seams. They are only crimped. I got another type.
--
Tekkie

I always thought the oil filled type are generally safer than fan types. I'm generally around when i use them, but there are times I'm not. I use them in my camp trailer. My brother uses them exclusively in his home.
I don't know if it matters but was It a three wire grounded unit ?
Greg
On 11/16/2015 03:53 AM, gregz wrote:

Yah, me too. Checked google and apparently a bunch of Holmes and Sunbeam units have been recalled for spraying hot oil.
I have one of the Holmes units that is going in the trash tonight.

The one that went bad is a Lakewood, model 7096. I'm about to google the company and see if they're still in business after all these years.
On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 9:23:51 AM UTC-5, jasper smith wrote:

You may have have been lucky.
Read this 2002 post found at:
http://www.electrical-contractor.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/148467/UL_warns_consumers_about_poten.html

If I hadn't been close by when it blasted off, or if I'd been asleep, the house would have probably burned down.
I changed the switches on two of them many years ago. The one that caught fire still had the original switches.

I'm hearing the problem was in the oil filled part, or was it on the control side ? I can't invasion sparks comming out of metal.
I don't like using them on 1500 watts with thermostat control. I rather leave the thermostat max and keep on low or medium so contacts dont wear out or stick.
Greg