OT: Indy Car Steering Wheel, Electrical Connection

A recent episode of "How Is It Made" showed them building an Indy Car steering wheel similar to this one:

They then showed the yellow quick connect on the back of the steering wheel similar to this one:

What they never mentioned was anything about how the steering wheel talks to the car. In the connector image, I see wires going into a box below the quick connect collar. Would I be correct in assuming that deep inside the collar there is a plug/socket that connects the controls to the car?

I feel safe in assuming that it's not a wifi or Bluetooth connection, so it must be mechanical, correct?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Could be a "light-link" system - combination of LEDs or LaserLeds and recievers or could all be multiplexed on a single pair connector, with power either on the same pair or separate. LOTS of ways to do it.

Reply to
clare

Probably via a clock spring. Many vehicles have loads of stuff controlled from the steering wheel... radio,cruise control, etc..., not to mention the SRS airbag.

Reply to
Mr.Emann

Please explain how a "clock spring" works in this situation. I am not familiar with that and how it becomes a plug and play electrical connection for a removable steering wheel.

Do any of those vehicles allow a quick connect collar to be pulled back so that the entire steering wheel (and all of the controls) can be removed in a fraction of a second? I think not, so I'm not sure the comparison of a mini-van's steering wheel to an Indy car's steering wheel is valid. I maybe wrong, but that's my guess.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I must have missed where you said anything about quick disconnects or plug and play. Could you please refer me to where any of that was said? TIA

FWIW, even a mini-van's steering wheel can be removed... all controls still attached to it.

Reply to
Mr.Emann

I'll gladly refer you to the post you responded to. Note the words:

"yellow quick connect on the back of the steering wheel"

Yes, but cables would need to be manually unplugged. Not so with Indy car quick release steering wheels. Pull back on the ring and slide the steering wheel off of the shaft.

It doesn't matter now, as Oren has provided a source for the information I was looking for.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Possible - but this is a "removeable" steering wheel. Clock springs only stretch so far. ;}

Reply to
clare

"A recent episode of "How Is It Made" showed them building an Indy Car steering wheel similar to this one:

They then showed the yellow quick connect on the back of the steering wheel similar to this one:"

And removing a "mini-van" steering wheel with controls on itgenerally isn't a 2 second job - but yes - a clockspring COULD be used - - but it would make the "quick release" a little les "quick"

Reply to
clare

That's "digital multiplexing" - whether on copper or over the airwaves.

Reply to
clare

I would venture to say that even the Indy Cars with quick disconnect steering wheels would still have to incorporate a clock-spring (of some sort) to allow for turning the steering wheel. It's still a "wired" connection, no matter how you look at it. The only thing I can see different (as far as the electrical connection goes) is not having a locking tab on the connection. And as far as the "quickness" goes, the mini-van (sic) has a nut holding the steering wheel on, but then they weren't designed to have the wheel changed in a matter of seconds. The original question was how the connection was made... blue-tooth... wifi... mechanical ...etc.

Reply to
Mr.Emann

So now you recall what was said in the original question? Do you now recall my mention of the quick connect?

Did you watch the video where Ryan Hunter says that the electrical connections are made through the "teeth" of the quick connect? Do you still feel that a clock spring is required in an Indy car?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

CAN buss will take care of all that. Software(firmware) can do anything with today's high tech cars. I just installed remote starter on our new Subaru. 7 wires to connect. Removing the dash panel and steering wheel covers without snapping the plastic tabs was most carefully done part. I downloaded wiring colors for the car, flashed brain module blade, set the option bits I want. Pros do this job in 2 hours. Took me shy of 3 hours. All functions work fine. In old days with analog wiring was like spagetti noodle strewn around under dash. So many wires and few relays, all that. I can program this thing with my remote fob or hand held programmer connected to antenna cable. Just disconnect it from antenna. connect it to the programmer. I can even read battery voltage, engine temp. with fob.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes, how else can the steering wheel be turned?

Reply to
Mr.Emann

One wire can carry many different signals for sure. It may be even fiber optics wire.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

brushes and slip rings

Reply to
clare

Nascar doesn't have paddle shifters and other fancy goo-gaws

Reply to
clare

True, but would you trust old technology like brushes and slip rings to control an Indy car? I've had car horns that only worked if the steering wheel was in just the right position. I would prefer a solid connection.

Reply to
Mr.Emann

Is this solid enough for you? No clock spring required. Keep in mind how little an Indy Steering wheel has to turn. Pin connectors and a single cable is all that is needed.

DerbyDad03

I see nothing there that describes how the electrical connection is made between the steering wheel and the steering column.

Reply to
Mr.Emann

You know you could just ask them...

Kurt V. Ullman