Electr. 14/3 wire under vinyl siding

I am installing an outide lite on a vinyl siding mounting block. Electricity is available 5 feet away via a duplex outside GFI vinyl siding mounted outlet. Question: Can I run 14/3 under the vinyl siding connecting the source to the lite?     If so, what type romex do I need? NM-B? tia
On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:11:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

or NMD romex under the siding with a steel protector over it You can run NMD romex inside the wall cavity.

*Use MC cable. Attach a bonding bushing to the MC connector and put a grounding pigtail on the bushing. You may need to use an angle connector to go into the siding block from behind.
Why do you need a 3 wire?
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 07:23:18 -0400, "John Grabowski"

day....
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:42:50 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

- it has a black, a white, and a bare. 3 wire has black, white, red and bare.

14/2 MC cable comes with a black wire, a white wire and a green wire for grounding.

Also: If that duplex outlet circuit is currently fed from a 20 amp breaker (using 12/2 wire), under many codes that added wire should be also be 12/2 with ground. Not 14/2!
OR change the circuit breaker for that circuit to 15 amp. We did exactly that when we realised that some armoured cable covered by to a nearby shed shed was 'perhaps' AWG14! So; to be sure we changed that breaker to 15 amp.
Reason for mentioning s that many wiring jobs back some years ago used AWG12 (20 amp breaker) for outlet wiring and AWG14 (15 amp breaker) for lighting circuits and did NOT mix outlets and lights on the same circuit. These days am seeing, under codes here, 14AWG, mixed outlets and lights; all from 15 amp breakered circuits.
By using 14/2 tapped onto a 20 amp circuit, the home owner could (depends on local codes?) inadvertently contravene electrical and insurance regulations!
Probably work OK for years! With never a problem! BUT if there was a problem fire investigators and or insurance might decline to say it met codes!!!!!!!
The amount of current taken by an outside light not large and well within capabilities of the wire. But could be legal implications!!!!!
On Sat, 1 May 2010 07:50:12 -0700 (PDT), terry