effervescence from exterior brick veneer

Hi,

I have a 50 year old home with a pinkish brick veneer. I have lived there about 10 years. There is one side of the house which faces south with an area approx 40 feet tall by 20 feet wide the interior side of which is the chimney. There has never been a problem with it but this year for some reason there is an extensive area of effervescence to the middle of this span. The house is in Connecticut and it has been a wet and snowy winter.

My question is, is it normal for this to show on brick that is so old (and in good condition) verses new construction?

Secondly, might the old homeowners sealed the brick from time to time and I haven't so that is why it is happening?

Thanks much!! Steve

Reply to
SMF

If the discoloring is centered around the chimney, I would look at the chimney cap and liner. Sounds like moisture may be getting behind the brick and perking its way through. (either from rain coming down, or as combustion byproducts from smoke going up) Is it veneer right where the problem is, or the actual outside face of the chimney stack?

On a house that old, if the chimney hasn't had a pro inspection in last

10-15 years, it is probably overdue anyway.
Reply to
aemeijers

Steve,

You're describing efflorescence rather than effervescence. Plug that into google and you should get better information.

Reply to
Mike Paulsen

The chimney liner is likely bad if it in the middle, its efloresence, get out a chimney guy and fix the chimney, cap, flashing, liner or whatever is causing it before it gets worse, most folks ignore this but the chimney get the most wear and tear, regular maintenance will keep it up, it gets real expensive to rebuild.

Reply to
ransley

Thank you! I have that on some of the stone on my house. Searching on "efflorescence " gave me a lot of information about how to take care of it. I was just going to wire-brush it and seal the stones, but there is a treatment specifically for it. Should be a simple task.

Reply to
krw