Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

Page 16 of 16
harry wrote:

I drive a full size pickup, and the bed is rarely empty. Can you haul a ton of marble chips in your little windup? How about a dozen full size sheets of plywood? 15 computer monitors, or 35 computers?

logy.

ed to

e is

The

mousines

. Until

ergy and

rom

ure was

and

you

he

ely

if

h the

based

t. If

soline

much

by a

g at

no

ve

on of

he

till

ic

els

Is that the only vehicle you possess? I bet you go shopping with your pickup filled with trash in the back.
On 2/25/2013 11:46 AM, harry wrote:

I think it's wonderful that you can use an electric vehicle. An 80 mile range would work for me when all I have to do is go to the pharmacy, the grocery store or other shopping but that's not all I do during a day. I combine trips and I often plan a route to combine shopping with my service calls. It's a simple concept that seems to be beyond the mental capability of many people. ^_^
TDD
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 06:42:07 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Plug-in hybrids will probably be the best compromise once they get a bit better, and for a while after that until electrical storage technologies get good enough that electrical vehicles become practical for everyone.
The real question with most of these technologies is: Do we want to develop them, or do we want to wait and buy them from the Chinese? I vote for investing in these types of things now so that we will own the technology.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 09:42:38 -1000, dsi1

The new model carriages were not forced on anyone. There *IS* a difference. When economics wins, everyone wins. When it takes a back seat, everyone loses.

of

ld

t c per

at

That isn't the correct way of doing the calculation. What you want to find is the INCREMENTAL cost of charging a car. That could be lower or higher than the rate with your method. For example if you have a monthly fixed charge of $25, you're paying that regardless of the car and it should not be attributed to the car. And if you're in an area where rates escalate if you exceed a certain amount, then you're going to pay more for the car charging than shown by your method.

Could be. Here in NJ it's been around 15c to 17c.

ge

e in

The Tesla is a performance car that does 0 to 60 in like 4 secs.

ill

the-ev-highw...

,

30

,

I don't know. But rather than winging the calcs, there must be some actual real world test results available online. One key factor is that you're assuming the battery fully discharges on each cycle. They don't. How much is left IDK.

uld

ic

I think your math may be off a bit, but I think the conclusion is probably valid. That's why the govt is subsidizing these things with big tax credits. They were picking up about 12K of the cost of the Volts, don't know what the deal is now. And from what I saw, even with that, the car still wasn't as good as a conventional car.
BTW, do you know that if you ever let the Tesla battery go completely dead, it's bricked? That it cost like 30 -40K to replace it? That's a nice feature. Even better, you would think that would be in big print in the owners manual. It's buried somewhere in there, but not made obvious. The car can self drain the battery in about a month from a FULL charge. So, what happens if you drive to the airport, arrive with the battery low and leave on a week long trip?
It does have a phone home system where it alerts Tesla that it's about to go kaput. And they then try to contact you. LAst resort, when they could not find the owner, they have even used the GPS to find the car and dispatch their own Tesla service folks to plug it in. Despite that, some have been bricked. A homeowner put one in a garage for a couple months and thought it was plugged in. Something happened with the cord getting disconnected. Battery bricked and it isn't covered under warranty.
Another nice feature for pioneers.... But they seem to be hippies that are focused on the idea that the car is zero emission, conveniently forgetting that in most cases that power is still coming from coal, nukes, etc.