Dumb question?

I'm putting in new 3" round soffit vents. Does it matter what direction the slanted louvers face, whether towards or away from the building. I was just thinking that facing outward may allow better exposure to the wind resulting in better air circulation. Or, not?

Wind isn't what makes them work, so it doesn't matter. They work due to convection. Warm air venting out the top pulls cooler air in through those vents.
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:24:09 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Doesn't matter. Make sure the vents are not blocked with insulation.

Thanks for the help guys. Regarding the insulation, I was surprised that none came drifting out when the soffit was removed because the crawlspace is filled with blown in insulation that is quite deep and appears to uniformly cover the enitre area. I'd been expecting to have to contrive something to put up between the rafters to keep it away from the vents. I *think* I'm glad there was none.
Thanks again.

I used a product with an inaccurate name: hardware cloth. It's not cloth, but a mesh with holes bigger than window screen. Here: http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/category/~category_id=TWPCAT_4
Easy to find at hardware or home improvement stores. It's quite stiff, so it'll stay in whatever shape/position/angle you need.

I'd put the vents facing the house. It does not matter, but if you or the kids are spraying a hose from the ground, it would be harder to get water inside.

Inaccurate name? Been that way for some time Joe. Was called hardware cloth 35 yrs ago when I worked in a real old fashoned hardware store. A rose is a rose...
We drive on parkways and park on driveways... :-)

I know. But, it's not cloth, as defined by most people. A 21 year might be befuddled by the term.

I see. Might think it's a gun made of cloth... :-)