Ductless Heating - retrofit possible?

We've got a 3000 SF rustic contemporary in western MA, cathedral ceilings, lots of :dead: space.. Original builders tried to heat with in-wall electric blowers (!) then switched to a "woodstove" style gas heater. It does the job, barely, running 24/7 in a cold snap. Since there are no ducts in the house, traditional heating is not an option. Does anyone know of systems that might use small tubes or pipes that I could run in the corners of the rooms or along the baseboards, so that we could have some zone heating in this house? I've seen some ductless combination AC/heat systems, but the heat only works if it's above freezing outside - not an option out here. We already have ceiling fans, passive solar house ( mixed blessing) and insulated window blinds. Radiant heating a partial option on the first floor, but we're looking for something we can do in the whole place - Thanks for any help you can provide -
Gas Hot Water Baseboard heat.
If LP or natural gas is an option you might consider one or more Monitor heaters.
http://www.monitorproducts.com/page5.html
RB
Cold in Mass. wrote:

You may want to check with a professional in your area. They are likely to know good solutions for the area.
That said, I suggest multi-point source. In other words more than one heat source, rather than central. You may also be a candidate for hot water heat with a central source. I suggest a pro because they are likely to know the tricks needed to put the system in without detracting from the look you want and address the issues of that large high space. There is nothing like being on site to help understand the situation and generate ideas for solutions.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:25:00 -0800, Cold in Mass. wrote:

We had electric baseboard throughout the house, and since I haven't mastered the art of pooping gold bullion to pay the bills, we had to do something else.
We got hot water baseboards, powered by a oil-fired boiler. It's really a nice system. Like you mentioned, HWBB is perfect for zoning. We have three zones: the house, the master addition, and the basement.
The boiler also produces our domestic hot water, so we don't have to keep a 80 gallon tank of water hot in addition to the boiler.
Big bucks for the installation due to lots of plumbing. If you're *very* handy, it can be done at home, but it's a major project.
--
The Gnerd

Well.. they DO make high-pressure forced air systems, but they're expensive, and probably beyond the typical DIYer. Personally, I like forced air more than I dislike exposed ductwork, but since you apparently differ, I'd say a hot water system offers the most versatility..
If you go to www.burnham.com, and click on residential, you can look at different types of baseboards heaters, freestanding radiators, and air-convection systems that can do double duty as AC.