Drywall taping repair / How I became single

OK, so I'm in the middle of taping the drywall in my basement. Walls are done with 1st coat and ceiling was next. I was out last night with a group of friends (the fellas) at a long planned Christmas break get-together. There were friends, good friends, that I haven't seen in over a year.
I got in late last night and this morning, when I asked my wife what she did last evening, said, "I started taping the ceiling..." I turned white.
Now, hard as rock, is tape with bubbles under it, tape that goes from having a half inch of mud under it to sections that have no mud under them at all.
ARRGHGGHGHGHHHHH!
<sigh>
What is the easiest/best way to recover from a very bad initial taping job?
Married for now,
a wrote:

Smitty, Doug and Mike - thank you very much. She did use the pre-mixed all-purpose mud and with water and a big sponge - it came off after about 3hrs work. I did have to use a "Scotch-Brite" pad on some of the thicker stuff, but it's all better now!
Still married,