Taping Drywall

I have a vertical seam and a horizontal seam that intersect in my wall. What is the best way to tape that? Do I tape the vertical seam or the horizontal one first. Also, after I tape the first seam, do I put tape all the way down to the seam that is already taped? (over the mud and tape)

I hope that makes sense...

One more question:

This room is new drywall with an existing painted ceiling. Should I just tape over the paint on the ceiling? If I am putting crown moulding up, should I even bother taping it?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me!

Jeff

Reply to
jeff

IMO, it doesn't matter. One of 'em is going to end up getting taped first.

IMO, cut the intersecting (second) seam so it ends at the edge of the first, instead of being lazy and just crossing the two over whole. Unless you're going to just pile on the mud over the whole thing, in which case it really won't matter provided you're able to sand it all smooth without the intersection being all lumpy-dumpy looking.

If you're putting up a crown moulding up, no. Taping and mudding are for exposed areas, or for the exceeding anal who fret needlessly and endlessly over how stuff covered by trim pieces look.

Reply to
AJScott

Oops -- this should have read "cut the intersecting (second) TAPE so it ends at the edge of the first." Tape, not seam. Bad editing on my part.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

It should be taped. If for no other reason than a fire stop.

Reply to
Truitt Bottsford III

Tape the joint that has the bevel first. going the entire length of the joint with one strip. Then do the other joint. You will probably be best to cut and but the tape rather than overlapping since the build up of two layers will probably be more than you'll want to try and sand smooth.

Reply to
mwlogs