Drywall Repair

I just installed a closet door frame and door. While nailing part of the frame in the upper right corner, a piece of drywall broke away. The size is about 5" vertical by 2" wide in a cone/funnel shape which left about a 1.5" base right to the stud where the frame is nailed. The piece came out as a whole (minus a few little chips here and there). Therefore, what would be best to repair.....apply a little compound and put the piece back in then compound the rest on top followed by the normal procedure of drying, sanding, painting, etc. OR just fill in the entire area with compound followed by the normal procedure?
Any other input appreciated.
Thank you
SBH wrote:

In the past, I have stuffed in some crumpled newspaper as a backfill and then trowelled plaster over it. Sand and repaint.-Jitney
My appologies for a repeated post. I originally posted through Outlook Express and it doesn't appear, then I did it again and it still doesn't appear. Then I checked here in Google Groups and obviously, it's here. Now I have to figure out why it didn't appear in OUtlook.

It did. You have 2 threads going. I responded in the other. It may be your news server.