Exhaust Fan

My bathroom has a window but it can't be opened when someone is taking a shower and moisture builds up fast.

I would like to install an exhaust fan in the ceiling but I have a tile roof so it can't go out through the roof. My dryer was originally vented out through the roof (it's at the other end of the house) but it stopped working right and a man who does repairs came in and ran a new vent pipe up into the attic and out through the soffit. It works fine. I am wondering if there is any reason why I can't do the same thing with the bathroom.

Reply to
Dottie

If the exhaust is closely connected to the soffit vent, you can get away with it. It is better than dumping warm, moist air into the attic. I'd rather run the vents our through the wall with a dedicated end cap. This would insure unrestricted venting and insure excluding the moist air from the attic. TB

Reply to
tbasc

You certainly can. I vented mine thru the side of my house and it works fine.

Reply to
serebel

"Dottie" wrote in news:1168908886.645352.92810@

38g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

The thing I would tend to think about out the soffit (dryer or bath) is the moisture quickly rises getting trapped under the soffit while the vent is running...aka rot and/or mold. Can you run it out a gable end?

Reply to
Al Bundy

I'd fix the window.

Reply to
scott21230

It only can't be used when the op is taking a shower. All she has to do is stop taking showers.

Reply to
mm

It is possible to vent out the soffit, but it is not considered a good choice because the warm moist vented air tends to be sucked into the nearest vent back into the attic where it can cause mold and rot problems. Out the side of the house is often a better option.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You can do the soffit type, many are done this way, including the ones in my home. A lot depends on doing it right. The fan should be vented to an outlet of it's own placed in the soffit. Many times the shortcut of just routing the hose over to the existing soffit vent and leaving it next to it is done. That can result in the mold/moisture issues.

Reply to
trader4

Remember to insulate the exhaust pipe. You don't want steam turning to water in the pipe.

Reply to
kellyj00

It's just an air-duct. Get a powerful fan, and you can pipe the air down into the basement, out the wall, under the yard, around in a little spiral and out into one of those stupid little fake wells. Use PVC duct for the outside part.

Reply to
Goedjn