Dryer vents and gas meters...

I have both a gas meter and my dryer vent abut 3 feet from each other, whihc seems to be acceptable minimum code however:

they are both under the deck.

The meter's regulator is just on the outside of the deck wall but the meter itself is on the inside. My deck is elevated about 4 feet up but it is walled with pressure treated slats, not tightly, but walled.

So instead of calling the gas company anyone have thots to if this is safe or not?

Reply to
Duesenberg

If you had a gas leak in your house, could you get to the meter quickly to shut it off?

Reply to
diy savant

diy savant wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

If I had a bad gas leak, I'd leave the house and call 911 from a safe distance.

Reply to
Han

+1 [but have to ask. . . are there *good* gas leaks?]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Huh?

In my town, the fire department's standard is to have the first piece of equipment* on scene within four minutes after the call. The police average nine minutes for an emergency call. Both of these standards are pretty good compared to the national average for a large city.

That said, how long will it take for the gas company to respond to a reported gas leak? Oh, I'm sure they'll get right on it, but it ain't gonna be within ten minutes! Whatever time it takes, the house will begin to fill with gas...

Reply to
HeyBub

Here how to look at it: if there was a Gas leaks, and the Gas go into the Vent, when the dryer is off..

Look like it would be a good way to end of life of, your dryer, wife, or home all at one time, would you say:::::::

So move it, you ask "hoe" ;)

Reply to
Hot-Text

My first call would be to the gas company. They tend to take leaks seriously.

Maybe 5 years ago I would get an occasional wiff of mercaptan (the odorant in gas) when outside the house. I always assumed it came from the boiler when it fires.

One day the air was really still and I followed it over to the area by the meter. I called the gas company and told them what I smelled and that it was outside. Within a few minutes a gas company truck pulled up followed by another one. The underground lateral was a steel pipe and it developed a tiny leak where it came out of the ground. The guy shut off the gas at the curb. I asked about their quick response and they said the dispatcher broadcasts when a gas leak is reported and they are supposed to stop what they are going and go there.

They called it in and within a few hours a construction crew arrived and dug up the street side. They cut off the old pipe at each end and ran plastic inside it.

Reply to
George

me...

Why should he move the dryer vent, which is

3 ft away from the gas meter when the house has plenty of gas piping and eqpt INSIDE the house? There are plenty of homes where the gas meter is actually INSIDE the house. Also, if you look around you will find lots of houses where the gas meter is a similar distance from a window that can be opened. My own house is one of them.

The risk from what he has from a safety standpoint is minimal. The real issue to me would be how accessible the meter is, ie can he get to it to shut it off if necessary and can the gas company get to it for reading, service, etc. If it's been that way for awhile and the gas company isn't bitching, I probably would not start asking questions.

Reply to
trader4

Does your dryer shoot flames out the vent on a regular basis?

Does your gas meter leak on a regular basis?

If the dryer is shooting flames out the vent, you've got bigger problems.

Reply to
dennisgauge

Jim Elbrecht wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ok, English is my second language - I was going for the idiomatic "bad leak" meaning much more than just a little bit of leaking.

Reply to
Han

Han my friend, if you didn't grow up speaking English, you sure do a lot better with it than many of those who have. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

George wrote in news:jjkqag$dmf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Ok. Here is my reasoning for calling 911. We have a professional police dept in Fair Lawn, but a volunteer fire department and ambulance service. Therefore when you call 911, the police is there usually before the fire dept or ambulance service (which are excellent as well). PSE&G is the electric/gas utility. I live on a street of homes on plots like 40x90 feet. In case of a serious gas leak, it would be of utmost importance to evacuate before things blow. Never heard of anything like that really close by, but in the greater NY City area those things do happen, both with gas company notification and without. Luckily my nose for the gas odorant is very sensitive. In fact whenever we are visiting my son in Somerville Mass, we walk by a place across from 725 Somerville Ave, next to the train tracks where it ALWAYS faintly smells of gas, but the Somerville gas company doesn't believe there is a leak.

Reply to
Han

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:81589ce1- snipped-for-privacy@cj6g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

I agree. My gas meter is inside, above the gas dryer. Licensed plumbers have never raised any questions, and the PSE&G meter readers still have to come inside to read the meter, and have also never asked a question.

Reply to
Han

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:jjkvqt$bcf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Thank you! I do appreciate that compliment. I must admit that I have experience speaking English since 1967 when I was assigned (I requested it) to an American to do research on blood platelets for my Biochemistry masters degree. Since coming to the US in 1969, I have helped write and have written many grant applications, most of which were (eventually) funded. For that to have happened my English would have to have been acceptable to the reviewers, not just the science behind the words.

Reply to
Han

What if they are working on or going to another gas leak? Are they supposed to stop working on that one and go to the latest one that was called in? ;-)

DerbyDad03

It's that liberal vs conservative thing. We conservatives smell gas and being real men, we grab a wrench and go shut it off ourselves. The liberals they look to call the govt to come take care of it for them.

Reply to
trader4

" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote in news:6dd830bb- snipped-for-privacy@i18g2000vbx.googlegroups.com:

More "proof" that I'm not a liberal according to your definitions . If I smell a little gas I'll go and investigate. Sometimes with a wrench, but usually first just to turn off the valve(s). If I were to hear a woosh and smell lots of gas (or the oher way around) I'll run and scream, then call 911. But maybe I'm too subtle and subjective .

Reply to
Han

I helped my mother get her masters in psychology by doing her computer statistics homework for her back in the late 60's. She would hand me a big stack of punch cards and I would take them to the computer center where the college had a shiny new IBM 360/50 RAX system. Oh yea, the computers I played with in my youth took up whole floors of buildings. Kids these days have no idea how easy they have it when it comes to data processing and retrieval. I wonder how many have spent the day in a library reading a stack of books just for fun? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Yeah, I'll do a +1 on that, too. I was going for the humor, Han-- Your usage was perfect, it is just one of those English 'funny' things.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I wonder if it's an affliction of those Liberal sissies who live in union controlled states where you have to belong to a union before you can pick up a tool and touch anything electrical, plumbing or utility service without that card and diploma from a union trade school? No H.I.S.I. fits from the P.L.L.C.F. please, I'm chain yanking. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas