Dryer vents and gas meters...

Don't know about the leaks, but the prices certainly are.

Reply to
krw

For the time being.

One nice thing about the government is that it is slow.

The implementation of "fracking" on a significant scale to release natural gas is just a few years old. In the fullness of time, I calculate, the EPA will release regulations that significantly and adversely affect the process.

An excellent article on the subject of "fracking" was posted today. Here it is:

A point to ponder: Natural gas is lighter than oil. Oil is lighter than water. Water is lighter than (most) rock. So why haven't the oil and gas risen to the surface in millions of years?

Because the oil and gas are separated from the surface by thousands of feet of impermeable rock.

Reply to
HeyBub

I believe the technical term is "hydraulic fracturing".

Could be. The frackers would frack up a wet dream.

The frackin' rocks...

Reply to
krw

You may be right. I did put the term in scare quotes.

(Scare quotes are quotation marks placed around a word or phrase to indicate that it does not signify its literal or conventional meaning.)

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:remdnUyXIrMW7v3SnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

No matter what you call it, the frigging "fracking"* process is fine by itself. The problem with winning gas through fracking is substandard executing of process of lining the well with impervious materials (piping, concrete liners, whatever), so that the not so nice fracking fluids and/or gas winnings don't go where they shouldn't. Plus the fact that regulations to dispose of the used fluids, and obtaining clear water are not always explicit enough, or adhered to, due to fragmented local rules and regulations (especially in PA).

Another problem with fracking is that the contracts for same are often signed by landowners who don't quite understand what they are signing. That means at times the local landowner isn't getting the royalties they think they are entitled to, because of the contract language; it means that at times the noise and inconvenience of trucks and machinery isn't disclosed; and that the local roads get damaged at the expense of local landowner/community.

The last problem will be that methane is a 20x or so worse greenhouse gas than CO2. That means that none should be wasted/vented, and apparently that may be a costly thing to prevent.

I'd be much in favor of fracking if those concerns were consistently and appropriately addressed. Perhaps the NY state regulations will be sufficient, if and when they go into effect.

*Note use of scare quotes!!
Reply to
Han