Dryer vents and gas meters...

Punch cards? You had punch cards?

How about hundreds of feet of paper tape like seen here?

I like to remind the kids that I was IM'ing long before they were even born. We used Telex machines to communicate between stations...essentially on-line typewriters. There were even standard abbreviations to make the messaging faster.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Jim Elbrecht wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I did see that, Jim, but I thought I could use some self-promotion . Also, usenet is international, as you know.

Reply to
Han

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:jjl8i3$6bf$1 @dont-email.me:

No hissifit, just a reaction. It depends. I've done a little plumbing- like stuff, some electrical, and carpentry/furniture stuff. All self- taught, since my profession was biochemistry (but that did involve some plumbing with hydrogen, air and nitrogen lines for our gaschromatographs, so I do know about leak testing). Coming from a country with 220V 50Hz electrical lines, and the life experience that it's the amps, not the voltage that hurts most, electrical is generally simple if you're careful. Nowadays, with the brother of my son-in-law as a somewhat experienced electrician's helper, it is even easier. But, if it is likely to be more complicated than I know for sure I can do, I let my fingers do the walking. I respect diplomas and licenses, but common sense prevails. In a few days I'm getting a home energy audit, and I'll see what I can tackle myself and where I will hire a professional.

Reply to
Han

Actually, if there is a leak, it would most likely be the pressure regulator that would leak through it's vent. The meter is unlikely to leak unless you punched or drilled a hole into it.

Reply to
EXT

So what wrench would you have used to remove the security cap they have on the stop out at the curb and then once you did what wrench would you have used to shut off the gas valve?

Reply to
George

Liberals will follow that up, by demanding a new law that prohibits leaks. Or raises taxes to pay for a community leak fixing program, that's no charge to callers. Bilingual avertisements, with Spanish speaking operators standing by.

Los Liberales seguimiento a esta cuestión, exigiendo una nueva ley que prohíbe las filtraciones. O aumenta los impuestos a pagar por la comunidad fuga fijación del programa, que sin cargo alguno para las personas que llaman. Cuando se trate bilingüe español-inglés, con los operadores impasibles.

. Christobal A. Los jóvenes aprenden más acerca de Jesús
.

It's that liberal vs conservative thing. We conservatives smell gas and being real men, we grab a wrench and go shut it off ourselves. The liberals they look to call the govt to come take care of it for them.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Have you ever carted a few boxes of cards around? Ever dropped a box? Paper tape wasn't much of a step down.

Reply to
krw

Book? Dude, what's a book?

Han's English is far better than my Dutch, German, or what he also speaks.

.

I helped my mother get her masters in psychology by doing her computer statistics homework for her back in the late 60's. She would hand me a big stack of punch cards and I would take them to the computer center where the college had a shiny new IBM 360/50 RAX system. Oh yea, the computers I played with in my youth took up whole floors of buildings. Kids these days have no idea how easy they have it when it comes to data processing and retrieval. I wonder how many have spent the day in a library reading a stack of books just for fun? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

From what I know of the UK, they are already arrived at this stage.

.

I wonder if it's an affliction of those Liberal sissies who live in union controlled states where you have to belong to a union before you can pick up a tool and touch anything electrical, plumbing or utility service without that card and diploma from a union trade school? No H.I.S.I. fits from the P.L.L.C.F. please, I'm chain yanking. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He probably already owns four of them, left over from his last job.

.

So what wrench would you have used to remove the security cap they have on the stop out at the curb and then once you did what wrench would you have used to shut off the gas valve?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The one time I had a gas leak (the pipe to the stove broke in half, going through the floor), the gas company was there within five minutes. When a leak report goes out, everyone in that area of the city drops what they're doing and responds. They don't even finish their donut. ;-)

Slow week?

Reply to
krw

Our 1960 house had meter in garage. I had gas line installed in new, old house. They want to see the meter in line with the street valve.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The computer the university was replacing was a UNIVAC. It was a classic science fiction computer with lots of glass and lots blinking lights. There might have been paper tape used with that one and I think there was a thing called a drum memory the size of a 50gal drum that was like a hard drive. It had a capacity of 16 to 32kb as I recall. I don't know if it was a FASTRAND drum unit which are huge because I never got to see a lot of the old UNIVAC. Of course there were a number of tape drives but it was a long time ago. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

After all, gas leaks aren't fair, and are most likely *RACIST*.

Reply to
krw

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:Y7w7r.102249$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

Sorry to disappoint you, but my Dutch is (according to my Dutch family and friends) very oldfashioned. My German and French should be primitive, but don't even approach that. My Italian is point and nod.

Reply to
Han

Our gas company just comes out, shuts off your service and red tags it. They do not make repairs inside your house. The homeowner is required to get a licensed plumber to repair the leak. Then your gas piping system has to pass an 8 hour air leak test by the city. Then, and only then, will the slow-as-molasses municipal inspector issues a permit to turn the gas back on. A simple leak could easily take 24-72 hours to get resolved.

So I have a ball shut-off valve on my side of the gas meter. If I smell gas, I'll shut the valve off while I locate and repair the leak. Getting the authorities involved would be an absolute last resort.

Reply to
Juan Deere

Juan Deere wrote in news:asGdnRlZis6SPMPSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Now that's a Man!!

Reply to
Han

Hey, like Blade Runner? I've always wondered why cities in the future would have flames shooting out all over the place when a flying car passes by? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And, you probably don't keep the butter in the "BUTTER" compartment in your refrig?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Of course, the gas pipe was heading towards a bit leak, under Bush?

.

It's Obama's fault.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon