dryer vent

Are the older style I think they are made of vinyl dryer vents really that dangerous? The person from Lowes said they are out of code and are dangerous? Has anyone run into any problems? Should i replace it?
Dryer lint can accumulate inside the machine & catch fire. If that happens, a vinyl vent would only make it worse. For a couple bucks you could swap in a metal vent . Cheap insurance in my opinion.
The vinyl hose should only go a few feet from the dryer to where the sheet metal exhaust duct end pokes out of the floor or wall of the laundry room. The duct through the wall, basement or crawlspace should be sheet metal, assenbled with tape. Screws or rivets will catch lint.
Stretch