Dryer heating element stays on

I've recently noticed that our Kenmore dryer's heating element will come on when the dial is turned to set the drying time, but before the "start" button is pushed. In other words, If I set the timer to 40 minutes or whatever and walked away without pushing start, the heating element would continue to be on indefinitely.

The dryer has no problems shutting down after a cycle, but it seems unsafe to have the heating element going if you set the time, but for some reason do not start the dryer.

My questions, are: Is this a normal operation (we no longer have the Manual)? If this is a broken state, is it repairable?

Thanks!

Reply to
Airkings

I really don't mean to be rude, and I agree that it's strange that a heating element would run without the dryer running, but why would you start the timer without starting the dryer? If you're concerned about someone else doing this, you could tape a note beside the timer. I know the timer on my dryer runs before I press start - I'm not sure about the heating element. Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

The heating element coil is most likely touching the grounded metal enclosure and running on 120 volts. It's a potentially dangerous situation; replace the coil.

Reply to
Bob

buffalobill

ummmm..........fix your website now, nothing happens when a repair category is clicked on

Reply to
Buck Naked

i had similar problem with a Maytag-element stayed on.

The dryer has no problems shutting down after a cycle, but it seems unsafe to have the heating element going if you set the time, but for some reason do not start the dryer.

My questions, are: Is this a normal operation (we no longer have the Manual)? If this is a broken state, is it repairable?

Thanks!

Reply to
stevie

Don't tell me you'd NEVER set the timer without starting the drier.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

No, it shouldn't be on without the dryer running; I'm pretty positive of that much.

I didn't know they could be shorted to nearby metal and make them come on, but it sounds like at least a couple of the posters have experienced it. Interesting scenario, to say the least.

It's also possible that one of the timer switches has gone haywire somehow, which is a real pain for DIY, so changing the element, which is pretty cheap, relatively speaking, is probably the right thing to do, I agree.

Careful: If something's shorting somehow, you could get a surprise working on it . 220 wiring is "strange" if you're not experienced with it.

HTH,

Pop

Reply to
Pop

If there is any doubt, one ougght to be able to test with a meter, rather than just replace things. If the *element* is shorted to a ground, after one removes the elephant, I mean element, between the two connectors TO the element, there should not be any voltage in the situation the OP specified. If there is voltage, a shorted element is likely not the problem, and replacing the element won't end the flow of current.

Further, one should look closely at the element before remvoing it. Where is it shorted? Cannot it be moved by bending a bracket or something? If the posters who had this problem mean that it is shorted internally, check with a meter, between the cover and each lead, to see if it is shorted.

A repairman can install something and iiuc, can remove it and not charge for it if it doesn't help, and return it or keep it until someone else needs it. A homeowner may have to wait forever before his dryer needs a part he bought but didn't need to buy.

Listen to Click and Clack talk about guessing about what part needs to be replaced, when testing can show whether they do or not..

mm

x-no-archive: yes

Thanks everyone for your answers. It's given me some ideas.

Dave

Reply to
Airkings