Driveway replacement

Maybe a dumb question, but is there a best time of year to have a concrete driveway replaced. I'm in NW Florida...

Reply to
Shanghai McCoy

In our area (Chipley) I'd go for a dry, cool(er) month like mid September to mid October.

Reply to
PanHandler

That makes now a good time to starting taking bids.. Thanks for the reply!

Reply to
Shanghai McCoy

You're welcome.

Reply to
PanHandler

I would believe the winter months. Why not ask a local contractor. You don't want really cold temperatures, but that is not likely for you. It is best not to have really hot temperatures as well. However a good contractor should be able to handle anything you will need.

Reply to
jmeehan

I would believe the winter months. Why not ask a local contractor. You don't want really cold temperatures, but that is not likely for you. It is best not to have really hot temperatures as well. However a good contractor should be able to handle anything you will need.

True about a good contractor. My thinking is that in this area we experience an approaching cold front just about weekly during the winter. It rarely goes below freezing but often brings gully-washer rains prior to the temperature drop, followed by crystal clear 40-ish days. By the time of the next front the temps are into the low-mid 60's. The OP knows what I mean.

Reply to
PanHandler

You might also consider negotiating with the company regarding timing.

Much construction is hurry-up and wait. There may be days of idle time and no company likes to have a crew getting paid for nothing.

In other words, if you can say "Anytime in the next two months" they might be willing to knock of a significant percentage.

Just a thought.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not dumb. Smart. Temperature has a lot to do with the quality of slab you get. I'd let it cool off till say September. Call in the meantime, and find someone who knows what they're doing and shop price, too. Tell them your concerns about temperature. If they poo poo you and want to do it right away, don't mess with them. If they agree and will wait until it's a little cooler, take their name and number. What I'd do, anyway.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Shanghai McCoy" wrote

Not dumb to ask. You want the dry weather time and since you never ground soil freeze, NOV-FEB is best time. Avoid ground wet times of hurricane season. Even if not hit with a hurricane sideline wet, you want to avoid the worst of the heat when you can literally bake an egg by setting it outside in the full sun.

Reply to
cshenk