maybe a dumb question, maybe not. Tool related

Hey Group, Are there now, or has there been any 230 volt hand held tools? Not the home made type- like Uncle Joe hooked up a 3 hp table saw motor to his circular saw - but real commercial units. Thanks in advance, Marc

Reply to
marc rosen

marc rosen wrote: : Hey Group, : Are there now, or has there been any 230 volt hand held tools?

There's a bajillion of the in Europe (along with 230 volt coffemakers, etc.). But I doubt there's any in the US, since household current is 110-120v.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Yeah. Europe uses them almost exclusively.

Reply to
Leon

Yes. Rare... But they exist. Mostly larger magnetic-type drills and the like that are classified as "hand tools" but really are not.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

As others have said, there are plenty of 240V tools, intended for use in the parts of Europe and Asia where household voltage is 240V. I suspect there more 240V tools (ie. both more tools and more models) than 120V tools, due to the larger population that have 240V household voltage.

I understand than in the UK, 120V tools are required on some job sites for safety reasons, and they bring a transformer.

If you live in North America but really want a 240V handheld tool, have a look here:

Reply to
AL
[snipped for brevity]

Oh yummy... another mile of wire added to the circuit. Makes one helluvan argument for cordless tools, eh?

240 volt tools require half the current, less chance of overheating extensions and such. 240 volt tools allow you to use a smaller (bigger gauge number) diameter cord, a lighter set of windings... all around a better product. WHICH is why the more serious automakers are starting to use 42 volt DC on-board electrical systems. That way you can shed many pounds by reducing the conductor sizes for starters and alternators etc. Air conditioning compressors would run off electrical motors as would power steering units. Got some of that technology sitting in my driveway.

I still think we should all switch over to 42 volt AC @ 400 HZ. Nothing like 24000 rpm out of a 2-pole induction motor, eh? Ahhh the life of the brushless.

Robatoy

I would hazard a guess that they exist in Europe.

Reply to
lwasserm