Dripping Clothes Washer

Our clothes washer started dripping from the water inlet (into the basket) recently. I turned off the cold water faucet and the leak stopped.

I assume I need to replace the water mixing valve/solenoid? Just thought I would confirm my diagnosis.

Thanks - Jim

Reply to
mtnman1

First check the hose connection for tightness both at the faucet end and where it goes into the machine. Also make sure there's no leak where the hose itself goes into the metal connector.

If those are OK, then go ahead and change the mix valve. You can pick one up at most any appliance parts place and the installation is not difficult.

Edw.

Reply to
Special Ed

Hi,

The fill valve sounds like it is not 100% shutting off and weeping in some water all of the time = new fill valve time. Change the washers in the fill hoses at the same time and inspect the fill hoses at the same time.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks to all that confirmed my diagnosis. Also thanks for other suggestions: replace screens and replace hoses with stronger, braided hoses to reduce flooding potential.

Jim

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:

Reply to
mtnman1

Readers should know, though, that braded hoses don't accept hose screens near the faucets, because they have their own washers built in. You need those screens to protect your valve, but you can't have them with those hoses.

Reply to
nospamtodd