Drilling into driveway

I'm about to take a 12" X 12" square out of my driveway by drilling a series of half-inch holes with a rotary hammer drill. My concern is that I may hit rebar as I'm doing this, and how do I handle that situatioin? The slab is about 4" thick and 40 years old. What are the chances of there being rebar in there in the first place? Was rebar normally used in concrete driveways in the 60"s?

series
hit
My guess is you'll probably hit wire mesh, but not rebar. Instead of the rotary hammer thing, why not head down to the local tool rental shop & get a concrete saw? Home Depot may even rent you one. A lot less time & effort and a much cleaner cut than what you're planning. Plus, it'll go through any reinforcing.
Joe F.
: > I'm about to take a 12" X 12" square out of my driveway by drilling a : series : > of half-inch holes with a rotary hammer drill. My concern is that I may : hit : > rebar as I'm doing this, and how do I handle that situatioin? The slab is : > about 4" thick and 40 years old. What are the chances of there being rebar : > in there in the first place? Was rebar normally used in concrete driveways : > in the 60"s? : : My guess is you'll probably hit wire mesh, but not rebar. Instead of the : rotary hammer thing, why not head down to the local tool rental shop & get a : concrete saw? Home Depot may even rent you one. A lot less time & effort : and a much cleaner cut than what you're planning. Plus, it'll go through : any reinforcing. : : Joe F. :
And when you return the saw, rent the electric jackhammer and you'll make short (and fun) work of the demo...
Rick
Norm Dion wrote:

Just get a jack hammer and forget the drill. Start at one corner and hammer away. If you need a clean line then get a concrete saw and cut it first.
Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"