drill bits

I have serveral dull drill bits and can`t seem to get them sharp. Will someone please tell me what is the best angle to start with when sharpening a drill bit? Thanks a lot
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 20, 3:09 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb and Eneva) wrote:

See what Bill in Detroit said here: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/b6025809b706a05/843dd74693eeb605?lnk=st&q=#843dd74693eeb605
Add pictures here
✖
(Herb and Eneva) wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/b6025809b706a05/843dd74693eeb605?lnk=st&q=#843dd74693eeb605
My dad was a machinist all his life. He could take a 1" x 2" stone, and sharpen a drill in very short order. I can't do it yet with my Drill Doctor 750. I remember that twisting action he had. About five or six twisting strokes, an eyeball, some more, another eyeball. Don't have a clue what he was looking at. He musta been good at it, because he a lot of guys commented on it. Never ever saw him used an electrical device, only a stone.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

So: Would you recommend the Drill Doctor? Or should I just go out and buy more drill bits? Appreciate your advice.
Add pictures here
✖
Maintain a positive rake and symmetry. That is all that is needed.
Add pictures here
✖

It's easy after the first 2-3 hundred!
Retired Machinist..
Add pictures here
✖
I think 135 degrees is traditional. Now, (Best Dick Donohue voice) listen up boys. [Cough; cough] There is a leading edge, and a trailing edge. The goal is to get the trailing edge back a ways so the leading edge does the cutting. Got it? Here, I'll show you again.
Mr. Donohue was my shop teacher. He was also about a two pack a day smoker. He's dead, now. I learned a lot from him, like not to smoke.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 15:09:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb and Eneva) wrote:

Drill bits are very inexpensive especially when bought in sets. I just replace them.
Add pictures here
✖
Herb and Eneva wrote:

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 20, 2:09 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb and Eneva) wrote:

Have a good machinist show you how to sharpen bits by hand. It's hard to explain, but easy to copy once you've seen it done. Any well lighted tool grinder will work just fine for bits 1/8" and up. Smaller dull ones go in the trash, so buy them in lots of a half dozen or so from a supplier like ENCO. HTH
Joe
Add pictures here
✖