Drill Bits

I wonder if anyone can help. I need to fix 15 x 2 metre long metal rails ("T" section) vertically to a concrete wall. I'll be using those 'self tapping' bolts that require a 6mm hammerdrill bit. I will need to drill 8 holes in each rail.

Q.1. How much larger will the rail holes need to be 6.5, 7.00, 7.5mm Etc?

Q.2. Nowadays, which drill bit manufacturer is considered high quality?

Q.3. Is there a good, reliable on-line source to the above? Many thanks.

Nathaniel.

Reply to
Natty Takeup

I wonder if anyone can help. I need to fix 15 x 2 metre long metal rails ("T" section) vertically to a concrete wall. I'll be using those 'self tapping' bolts that require a 6mm hammerdrill bit. I will need to drill 8 holes in each rail.

Q.1. How much larger will the rail holes need to be 6.5, 7.00, 7.5mm Etc?

Q.2. Nowadays, which drill bit manufacturer is considered high quality?

Q.3. Is there a good, reliable on-line source to the above? Many thanks.

Nathaniel.

Reply to
Natty Takeup

Sounds like seven should be ample - do the fixings not specify a clearance hole?

What sort of drill? For a SDS bit then most makes will be fine as long as you avoid the 3 for a quid range from a pound shop.

For conventional masonry drills, then the Bosch multimaterial bits are very good.

Take your pick: Screwfix, Toolstation, Axminster etc.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John my virgin.net newserver hung onto this post for a couple of days, so I repeated it on news.individual (above) under "drill bits info please".

Reply to
Bertie Doe