Drainage problems near foundation.

Hi, I have a depression in my asphalt driveway next to my house, with the low point situated only a few feet from the foundation.

When it rains heavily, the water ponds here and eventually overflows, dispering into the soil which lines the rear side of the house - far to close to my foundation for comfort.

Over the years, the grade has shifted towards my house such that there remains no easy way to regrade away from the foundation without infringing upon my neighbour(shared driveway).

I have considered installing a drainage pipe(french drain) to divert the water away, but since the soil on the property has a sand-like consistency it has been suggested as an alternative that I drill holes into the low point of the ashphalt(where the water is collecting) to help facilitate drainage into the sand below.

Is this a sound suggestion?

If so, what diameter holes would be recommended to best expidite drainage, whithout needlessly underming the location.

After drilling the holes I had planned to stage a trial run with a garden hose(to approximate rainfall), and assess their viability.

But I have lingering concerns as to whether the depression's proximity to the foundation allows sufficient clearance from the foundation to be advisable.

Also, I remain skeptical as to what adverse weathering effects might be exposed through the perforations as a result of the climate(-30 C. winters up here).

Lastly, should I so desire at a later date(for whatever reason) after drilling the holes, would I then be able to patch them up with a simple pot-hole filler(that you buy at the local hardware store) without worry?

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Reply to
nreg97

Fill the hole.

Reply to
Chuck

Without seeing this and the actual constraints it's impossible to suggest the possible solutions. However, drilling holes in your driveway sounds like a bad idea. From your descripition it sounds like the low spot is close to the foundation. So, even if you drill holes, the water is still going to go into the ground close to the foundation, isn't it? And drilling holes now provides a place for freeze/thaw cycles to begin to destroy the asphalt.

can be done within reason, or else channeling the water away via a drain system.

Reply to
trader4

..

Disclaimer: no personal experience with this tactic....

I would be tempted to pick one 3 or 4 inch diameter hole into the sand substrate at the low spot, line it with an iron collar to stop the black top breaking up, and fill with sand.

Sandy soils drain straight to China, so the only concern is carrying away soil with the storm flow.

If you don't like what you get, then compacting and applying blacktop seems to reverse the initiative.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott