Double pane window failure

I have a number of sealed double pane glass windows that have developed condenstaion between the panes. At about $400 each I am looking for a cheap way to fix them. I am thinking using a diamond bit in a Dremel tool, drill a

1/16" hole at the bottom in a corner and one hole at the opposite upper corner. When the sun causes convection to pull air through the window the condensation will dry up. I was thinking of sealing the little holes when the inside is dry, but I doubt I would lose much insulating value with only two tiny holes. Any thoughts on this idea?
Reply to
Marty

It could work as a temporary solution but probably won't fix whatever leak/s admitted the moisture in the first place.

Reply to
Pat

$400 per window???

Reply to
Hound Dog

once 'air' gets between the panes (and if water is, air probably is) you've already lost most of the insulation. drilling two holes will definitely fill it with air. any fix you make is purely cosmetic.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

If it works, it will reduce the insulting value of the windows. TB

Reply to
Tom Baker

What was in the windows to start with?

He doesn't mention argon or krypton. IMO, two small holes won't make much difference in the "insulting value" :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

How old are the windows, what brand, Are they Argon low E ?

Reply to
m Ransley

What kind of window is going to cost $400 to fix. You should not need to replace the whole window, just the glass.

What you suggest will be a short lived fix. First you will still get condensation, but maybe less. However along with air, you will also get dust moving into the window and no way to clean it. You will also reduce the effective insulation, especially if it is a modern high efficiency glass.

Do some more checking on the cost of repairing the window (new glass) as opposed to replacing the unit.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You will still probably get condensation between the panes. The space between the window panes was sealed at the factory and typically is a vacuum. Somehow, that seal has failed and air is getting between the panes. If the windows are newer, they may still be under warranty. Worth a check. The windows don't have the same R factor as they did as new. You have two single panes of glass with an air space.

Reply to
mike60510

IME you can tell the seal has broken by ugly stuff showing between the panes. Dilling holes, blowing air, etc. nothing is going to remove the marks. The only repair is to replace the glass. You don't need to replace the entire window, only the glass portion and that shouldn't run anywhere near $400 per.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Replacement sashes for cheap windows are cheap. I just replaced a broken insulated window (complete sash) for about $65. If it is an expensive brand name window it is probably under warranty unless very old.

Reply to
Art

I've drilled holes in a pinch, but I've always put just 2 or 3 at the very bottom of the outside pane, there's no need to encourage rain to run down the inside of the glass.

It's truly a hacker's solution, but think about all the years we lived with just "storm windows" stuck over the outside of single pane windows. They sure weren't "sealed", but they helped a lot.

As several others have pointed out, the insides of the panes will get cruddy and eventually you'll have to replace them, or just start repeating this mantra, "Windows are to look through, not at."

$400 bucks sounds pretty high to me. I got new sealed panes made to size for a bunch of casement windows in our home a couple of years ago and stuck them in myself. I don't think they cost much more than $30 each.

Good luck,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Where did you you get the sealed panes?

Reply to
George Eberhardt

Most large or medium size cities have one or more window suppliers who make them up locally. Check you local yellow pages.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Another thing to consider is that if the moister has been there long enough it will etch and ruin the glass. Also, as you drill, the white powdered glass will fall inside.

$400 each? How large are these? My parents' house has several 5x6 foot double paned units. At that size each pane of glass is 1/4" thick. I can see that being expensive but, OTOH, I priced a 18x36 inch insulated unit for about $40.

Reply to
jriegle

My town only has 3,000 pop but has a glass store that will supply replacement panes. Just had one done for the second time and found out it was still under warranty. No charge.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K