Double pane window galss replacement

A rock flew out from under our lawnmower and busted a window in my house. The windows are all double pane. What do you do? Do you have to replace the entire window? I could have fixed this no problem if it were single pane but I do not know what to do here as these two panes do not just have air in between them do they?

Joe

Reply to
Red Grass

If sash or casement or whatever is easily removable, just carry it in to local glass company. (The one the builders use, not the glass aisle at the borg.) If it isn't easily removable, you'll have to pay for the house call for them to remove the old, measure it, and install the new glass in the field. Expensive, but not near as much as it used to be. If local shop is too small to fabricate their own double-pane panels, they have a jobber that can do it in a few days.

aems ends..

Reply to
aemeijers

If you can fix a single pane and this happens to be a stationary glass, take it out and carry to a local glass/glazing shop. They can fix you right up Then put it back in. Be careful, the glass can break further and hurt you.

Or as mentioned take the removable sash to the shop.

-- Oren

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Reply to
Oren

carefull application of duct tape to the broken pane before removal will contain the pieces and make flying glass less likely.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

Yeah, they're a sealed unit with inert gas in between, gotta replace the whole thing. DAMHIKT.

Did the same thing with the mower 8 years ago, threw a rock, broke the

8ftx4ft slider on the patio. Pretty expensive - ended up costing just a few dollars less than the $500 deductible on the homeowners insurance. Since then, I have been real paranoid about rocks while mowing.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry