Door Bell Problem Fixed

Thanks everyone for your help. I tried to attach this reply to my original post, but for some reason it is not working.

I was able to solve my door bell button problem by researching online. It ends up that I have a door bell that one can select different chimes. In order for it to work, a small wire with a diode on it must be put on the new door bell button, and wrapped around the two screws. I did wonder why my new button did not have this wire on it.

It took me three minutes to fix the problem, and two hours of wasted time trying to figure it out. Oh well, I learned something new, and saved some money.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Hi, Remember the LOGIC when trouble shooting anything. If you understand what diode does then you will know why it is there. Obviously you did not take a good look at the original button. Our chime has three terminals for front door, back door and side door. Buttons don't have any diode. It plays 3 different tunes.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Kate wrote in news:k7v2ci$cb1$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That's like this clock I have I accidentially dropped. It revered to a dumb ringer sound and now I can't get it to change back. Glad your doorbell is fixed.

Reply to
Marina

Darn high-tech. I'm going to use a string and an all-mechanical bell.

Reply to
micky

*I recently found out about the needed diode when one of my customers purchased a new LED doorbell button and found that her doorbell would not work with it. The instructions for the button barely mentioned the diode and didn't say how it could be obtained as it did not come with one. She decided to look for an old fashion neon button instead.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I've never seen a standard residential doorbell that used a high enough voltage to light a neon bulb. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas