Door bell

My aunt called me today and said her door bell went off about 2 in the AM. She said that it is now continuously buzzing.
I went over to check.
The door bell itself has 4 terminals. 0-3 and 3 was unused. I am guessing 0 is common and 1 and 2 are going to each switch. The door bell box looked like it was mounted with toggle bolts and I did not have any toggle bolts with me so I didn't take the doorbell box off.
Anyway, I took out both door switches and removed one wire from each. The buzzing continued. I am assuming that mice have chewed into the wires. She says she hears them at night sometimes.
If I had taken the box off, would it be likely that the transformer and connections would be behind the door bell box? My health is not good and climbing around the attic is out. I would have fixed it for her if I could, but the only thing left to do is go back with toggle bolts and check behind the box, which I am willing to do, or climb into the attic.
Any suggestions?
BTW I disconnected one of the wires to stop the buzzing, but now she has no bell.
Bell transformers can be located in a variety of places. The least likely would be behind the bell chime. Check at the service electric panel, or in a ceiling junction box in a basement, below the location of the chime

I would have to be very lucky to find the short at the transformer anyway. She has grand kids around 16. If she could get me one of those for the crawl space/attic I would try to walk them through, but I think I have done all I can until then.
Thanks
There would be no reason to suspect a problem at the transformer itself, more likely a chaffed cable by rodents, somewhere where you won't have access to

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:20:34 -0400, "RBM" <rbm2(remove

Mine is located in a little hall closet, next to the furnace. Seems like a strange place, but it is accessible.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Transformers are often located near the furnace.
One of the wires go to the transformer. The other two to the switches. Should be able to remove a wire to one of the switches and stop the buzzing. The other switch will then work.
Set some traps:-).
This is certainly a possibility, just be sure you know the difference between a 16 volt chime transformer, and a 24 volt heating transformer

She has traps set. Check this link.
http://i7.tinypic.com/2ex6kah.jpg
on 8/22/2007 4:36 PM Rich256 said the following:

My door bell transformer is mounted on the side of my breaker panel. I have a transformer by the boiler, but that is for the zone valves.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

My transformer is on the box for the ceiling light in the basement, not especially near the bell or the button.
Don't worry if you disconnect the furnace tranformer. Your aunt will figure it out by January.

...and folks wonder why the cause of some house fires is "undetermined".
Mice are not known for their smarts. If they are chewing doorbell wires, it's a reasonable assumption that they are also chewing on OTHER wires, including telephone and [drum roll] ELECTRIC.
Also, rather than wear yourself out or risk the ceiling with an inexperienced, likely impatient teenager "waltzing" around in the attic looking in vain for a faulted doorbell cable, buy a wireless doorbell and be done with it. They aren't expensive. Good luck!
<http://www.specialbuys.com/sb-wireless-battery-chimes.htm
--
:)
JR