Filler Material?

What material could I use to fill the space (1/2 - 3/4 in.) between the range hood vent pipe (galvanized metal) and the wood of the kitchen cabinets?

The pipe goes up into a plenum and then is ducted outside, but the plenum is vented to the outside of the building and cold drafts (and maybe mice) find their way into the kitchen. Someone suggested stuffing the space with steel wool, but I'd like to use something more compatible with food and dishes. The space isn't big enough to try to fit a piece of wood around the vent pipe.

Thanks, TKM

Reply to
TKM

I'm having a little trouble picturing your situation, especially the part about the plenum being vented to the outside. Sounds pretty inefficient. I'm also not sure why the filler has to be compatible with food and dishes - where will the contact be?

Anyway, what about furnace cement? - something like this:

DerbyDad03

Use caulk. If the gap is small latex caulk; if slightly bigger, backer rod and latex caulk; if big, use foam caulk. Have mice actually been coming in this way, or are you just worried about them? If they have been coming in, put steel wool deep in before the caulk. Compatibility is not an issue unless you are planning to stuff food and dishes in there along with the steel wool and caulk.

While you are at it, if the builder left gaps here, he probably left gaps every where else. Look under sinks where pipes enter/exit. If you have forced air heat, check for gaps between the boot and the hole. Use your imagination (or pretend that you have a mouse brain).

Reply to
M Q