Does the read and white wire go together on a light switch?

Page 2 of 2

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

Only wimps worry about live circuits! A little shot of 120V helps to keep your teeth clean.

If you capped the unused wire you have no reason to fear a fire or a shock. You just replaced a 3 way switch with a standard one. No big deal except the other switch will not work. If you did not cap the unused wire, you could have a short in that box if it touches a metal box. Either way, spend the $2 for a 3 way switch and do it right. You may end up trying the wires several different ways on the new switch till they both work properly. Usually the red wire goes to a redish colored (or darkened) screw. White and black to the brass colored ones.
You dont need to turn off the breaker till you do the job. Unless you are a licensed electrician, never work on electricity when the power is ON.

You turn the breaker off so you don't electrocute yourself, or start a fire, while you're working on the circuit -- DUH. While you're at HD for the proper switch, do yourself a favor and pick up a book on basic residential electrical wiring, too.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

outlet, lights, etc., while working on the circuit. The message in context, unless I did not understand his response, I thought meant not to leave the switch in the current state, which was 3 wires (red, w, b) on a two way switch, with the breaker on. Instead, the breaker should be turned off until I get a three way switch. This seemed to differ from the first response I received which said that I could leave the breaker on; thus, my question.

Yeah, that too, because flipping the *other* three-way switch (which anyone could do, at any time) will create a dead short because you mis-wired the first one. Hopefully, the dead short will cause the breaker to trip -- that's the way they're supposed to work, of course, but not always. It's a potentially dangerous situation. Leave it off. Get the right switch. And don't forget that book, either.
--
Regards,