Does anyone make a STURDY Tire Wrench

Page 8 of 8
dpb wrote:

The local Harley boutique has that down pat. I went over for a very exotic part -- a battery for a Sportster -- and they said they had to order it. O'Reilly's had one for me the next day and $50 cheaper. But if you want $100 gloves and $800 jackets with the proper logo they've got you covered.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I've played the field and haven't had too many bad experiences except for a Fiat Spyder, but Italian vehicles are really works of art not meant to be driven.
I did have a Firebird with a new design V-6. The rear main seal would rotate and when everything lined up just right it would spray oil over the exhaust pipe. It didn't lose that much oil and it kept the mosquitos under control. It did get old having people telling me my car was on fire. Then it would rotate a little more and seal again. I never bothered to fix it and the car was still going strong at 80,000 when I traded it in on a F150.
My preference is for straight 6's, Ford, Mopar, or GM, they all treated ne good.

....after they had to "order it".
nb

Sounds like me, when I discovered S-K back in '72. Bought an S-K metric (7mm-19mm) 3/8" drive socket set for $10!!

I recently looked up these two USA mfrs and, yes, they are still made in US. They are also NOT cheap!! I have a metric Proto combo wrench set and it's currently going for over $200!! S-K is a bit more sane, the socket set I paid $10 for forty yrs ago, now only $60.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
S-K tools are excellent. I usta use my small socket set (above) on air wrenches (impact) and never lost a one to breakage.
Also, Sears now "labels" *some* of their Craftsman wrench sets as "Made in USA", but that may be all Chinese made, on US islands of Guam or some other US protectorates that allow "USA" mislabeling.
nb

I hadda Honda hatchback Si, same gen as a CRX. Loved that car. Bought it with 100K miles on it and sold it with 250K miles on it and its engine was still whisper quiet. BUT!.... it was assembled in USA!
Great cars.
nb
On 12/31/2014 1:53 PM, notbob wrote:

Still parent non-US company, though...which is my primary criterion on that score.

Only the dogbones, and I think you can put it in gear to move the engine. Only changed the plugs on mine once, so don't quite remember. Think I could get at the back plugs of the 2.8 in my Celebrity without disconnecting the dogbone. Needed to use a u-joint on my extension. Should have disconnected the dogbone, but didn't know that then. Got a 2003 Impala now with a 3.4, and expect it'll be the same as the Lumina. Never had any issues changing plugs on my RWD cars, but transverse GM engines are packed in tight.

transverse applications. That said, it IS possible to change the plugs an a 3100 without unbolting the mount if you remove the coil oplacks and have the right tools - you WILL lose some skin!!!
notbob posted for all of us...

Probably true. Nothing good ever seems to stay the same. It's been many years when I was in the business and they were the go to people. Another on e bites the dust?
--
Tekkie

I find this to be true also. The dealers realize they have to be competitiv e
--
Tekkie

I had an earlier post that I sent too quickly...
Also the fit of the part will be correct while after market can be pure crap. Especially body parts.
--
Tekkie

notbob posted for all of us...

Both owned by Stanleyworks located outside the USA. I don't know about Snap- On anymore.
--
Tekkie

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 4:34:09 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:

Snap-On is still USA made. Blue Point may or may not be depending on the t ool.
SK is still USA
Proto I believe is mostly USA
Williams (now "Williams/Snap-On Industrial") varies. Have to check COO on their web site.
not sure if any other tool lines are all USA made or are easy to verify.
I wish my local NAPA carried SK and Proto! SK seems to be mail order only now after they lost a lot of dealers a few years back when they went under, but the new Ideal-owned SK tools appear to be just as good as the old ones you remember.
For sockets today I'd probably buy SK for combination wrenches the new WrightGrips seem to be just as good as Sna p-On Flank Drive Plus for a lot less money, and those two are a cut above e verything else if you ever see yourself in a spot where you need to use an open end on something old and rusty. Otherwise I like my old SK SuperKrome s.
Oren posted for all of us...

Around here the NAPA stores have the crimper and will make you any style length one wants. I guess it's a crapshoot about the stores.
--
Tekkie

Oren posted for all of us...

Buy NOW! But wait there is more... We'll double the order you only pay quadruple the price! Watta deal.
--
Tekkie

On Thursday, December 25, 2014 8:09:59 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wr ote:

I think you nailed it.
I picked up a GearWrench 24" breaker bar from Advance a while back because they had a deal where if you bought the 24" you got a shorter one free - an d my main 1/2" drive breaker bar was an old 18" long Williams one, figured the 24" would come in handy for those extra special jobs. Get you a good q uality 3" or so extension and a 6 point deep socket to fit et voila.
Alternately, the heavy duty Ken-Tool 4-ways seem to be good, but I've migra ted away from them as the socket ends seem to be bigger in OD than a 6 poin t socket and modern cars seem to have the lugs sunk into holes in the wheel s.
Finally, what is the vehicle? Does it use those infernal stainless capped lug nuts? I got a whole nother rant on those pieces of excrement. Long st ory short, if you have them, I would replace with chromed steel ones toot s weet, and if any of the caps "spin" report back and I'll walk you through " peeling" them with a sacrificial screwdriver so you don't have to torch 'em off.
nate

I already said it's a 95 Chevy pickup. Standard rims. The lugnuts have plastic caps that look like chrome lugnuts. I removed those worthless things when I got the truck.
On Sunday, January 4, 2015 6:29:24 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

Ah, OK so they're the open ended ones with the little threaded bits on them.
If there's a standard chromed steel "acorn" style lug nut that will fit, I would replace all with those (but for a different reason - open end ones when not covered may allow corrosion to form between the stud and nut)
Really, chromed steel acorn lug nuts IMHO are what should be used on just about every street driven vehicle...
nate