Does anyone make 8' T8 flourescent lights?

Does anyone make true 8' long flourescent light fixtures in a T8 bulb design with electronic ballast?

All of the 8' long T8 fxtures I have seen to date actually have four 4' T8 bulbs instead of 8' bulbs. I want electronic ballasts to reduce the hum.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Try google - I searched for T8 8' and the second link was

Its a PDF, deconstructing the URL a bit takes me to
with another 8' T8 listed.

That should get you started.

Reply to
No

Well, if you can't find 'em now, they'll be hard to find when you need tubes for it...I'd say just get the commonly available ones to save later headache.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Yep, I have hundreds in my dealerships. However, we are switching to T5's Better light and cheaper to operate.

Dave

Teamcasa

Yes. Just go to your local commercial lighting supplier, T-8's are required in new commercial buildings in most jurisdictions due to their lower energy use and mercury content. I use T-8s everywhere these days... Almost all fixtures designed for T-8 bulbs have electronic ballasts.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

I'm in North Jersey and know of at least 2 elec supply houses that carry them. Not cheap though.

Reply to
TomL

I've found the fixtures are available from Grainger and verious online places, but they cost $60 to $70 plus shipping versus the Home Depot fixture with four 4' bulbs for $40.

I never thought about bulbs and didn't look at what HD, Menards, etc carry for bulbs. The bulbs are available at Grainger for a premium price I'm sure.

Most of the shop lighting threads I have seen say to use 8' fixtures instead of 4' for better lighting. I wonder if the 8' fixture with four

4' bulbs would work just as well? There is no way I will consider using magnetic ballasts.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

They're fairly easy to find around here, but ... you usually have to ask for them. Check your lumber yard and local electrical supplies; they should have them.

They seem pricey at first, until you realize that, with 4 8' tubes, you're also getting two ballasts and cktry for them.

As far as bulbs go, well I see those all over the place including HD and Lowes, True Value, etc etc etc..

I use them in my shop; great light output and it spreads over a LARGE area too. I pull the mains wiring for the ballasts out and put two switches to a light fixture so I can have "decent" light with two bulbs, or "excellent" light with all 4 on. Mixed with a Halogen, they're perfect for finishing work - the dings & dangs stand out like a big orange box!

Be sure they're not too much light for you though. My Mother had eye problems so I put one in her little kitchen when she was alive. She loved it. But it's too bright for anyone else. Point is, if it's a small area with standard ceilings, leave room for one or two smaller fixtures for "just passing thru" use. Saves on 'tricity too. Ymmv

HTH,

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Interesting. All of the 4' four bulb fixtures I've seen just have one ballast.

I'm not real sure I would want a fixture with four 8' tubes. That would seem to be too much light in one spot. Wouldn't it be better to use 2 bulb fixtures more often to spread out the light?

I am very concerned about costs of running all the light people recommend.

1500 watts of light in a 24x24 shop run a few hours a day could really add up along with all other electricity used in a shop.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

They make'em both ways. Slyvania, GE and Triad/Magnetek both make 2 and 4 tube electronic ballasts. Some will even drive one, two, three, or four bulbs. Inventory reduction...

In your average shop, sounds about right. But it depends on the mounting height of the fixture and the light needed for a particular task/area.

But Heating it eats even _more_ energy... But you can add it up for yourself - simple math. Your power rate in KWH is listed on your bill.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Yes they make them, but they aren't destined to be an industry standard. Most popular for use in commercial applications now would be the newer T5 HO systems, or using the 4' T8 lamps with a high output electronic ballast.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

What exactly does high output gain you? Does it just pump more watts through the same bulbs?

I see a lot about T5, but no DIYer is going to pick these up at Home Depot, Lowes, or the like.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

No you probably won't, and for a home shop the 20% extra from a high output ballast probably isn't worth it. Do check the Ballast Factor on the fixture you get, as not all ballasts are created equal, and higher ballast factor will get you more light. If you getones that have an Advance, Triad or GE or major manufacturer electronic ballast they will have a 5 year warranty.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

My local ACE hardware has 8' T8's, I will ask them this weekend if they are electronic ballasts and what the brand is. It seems to me that most anything new uses the electronic ballasts, the local ACE is only about two years old.

Reply to
Bilbo Baggins

Depot & lowes gets about $3.50 for the four footers.

Reply to
Bilbo Baggins