Do you use bar oil in your chainsaw?

Page 1 of 7
Because every professional user I have ever seen is using 10W30 engine oil. Now I'm not about to put that into my Stihls but I was just wondering if I am wasting money on expensive bar oil?
Any comments?
Dean

I worked with a professional tree service for 7 years. We used the bar oil or motor oil . Whatever was available at the time.. Using motor oil never hurt any saw we had. We used Stihls, we had Huskys, Echos (long time ago). Never hurt any of them. the main thing is to make sure that the bar gets oil. Theres a slot that the chain runs in.. sometimes it's good to clean that out. It can get gunked up a bit. That'll help keep the bar lubed up.
dean wrote:

Used 10W30 in my Stihl from the time I bought it until it was "borrowed" by an uninvited guest - about five- years - and it worked well for me.

I put used motor oil in my saw. Good way to get rig of it.
--
Al Reid

No, not really.
The suspended solids and other junk (such as combustion byproducts) in used motor oil don't do either the bar or the chain any good. That gunk is better off being recycled and disposed of properly.
--
Regards,

Doug,
I have never actually put used motor oil in my saws, although I have been told that it can be done. I was just testing a theory that if I said I did that Doug Miller would be the first one to tell me that I was wrong to do so.
Theory proven correct ;^)
--
Al Reid

Are you a jerk in real life, too, or just on Usenet?
--
Regards,

ROFLMAO!

:)
"if a guy doesn't figure he's as much of an asshole as half the guys out there he prob'ly ain't thinkin so good" -alvin
What I see, most guys figure they are in the top 1% of "good guys" or so! :(
Leads to trouble, one perfect little momma's boy dealing with another perfect little momma's boy.
If they figured they were so "good" that they fit in the top 10% I could go along with that if they were a fairy. I figure the top 10% of "good" guys out there are all fairies. Are you a fairy? ;)
It's ok if you are, I'm not making a judgement on that, ok?
You judge yourself.
When a guy uses the word "proper" it kind of gives me the creeps. That was my grandma's word and the way she saw everything, in terms of "proper" or not. Never knew guys used that word until I got on usenet. :/
You find it kind of creepy? Or is it just me? :/
Alvin a real asshole (typical dumb-ass guy) in AZ

Hey AlphaTurd! If you don't like what he said, then just ignore him. Why can't you play nice? (Sad thing is, there was nothing wrong with your post about the oil.)
wrote wrote nothing worth reading, as usual...
Hey, Wade, when are you going to outgrow the junior-high-school name-calling?
--
Regards,

Well, if I was in the business of selling branded "special" bar oil at twice the price of cheap motor oil I'd put that in my instruction manual too.

How's that again?
A *gallon* of bar & chain oil at Tractor Supply Company is $3.76 (that's 94 cents a quart). Where are you buying motor oil for 47 cents a quart?
--
Regards,
I have use Ams/Oil bar and chain oil since 1990 and NO problems
wrote:

The claim that

but OTOH it is very

was being used up

complicated and delicate

To think that it

inadequate for the task

equally silly

to recycle it

NEW oil instead of

limited oil.

discussion.
discussion, now,

involved in

used old motor

fence posts to

with no

simpler. It is too

protection. That's

motorcycle, or bicycle,

designing them say

that they

to dig out

specifically says not

Well, if I was in the business of selling branded "special" bar oil at twice the price of cheap motor oil I'd put that in my instruction manual too.
Doug Miller wrote:

Actually, I never thought of it, but I really doubt it's really doing any harm--it's not a demanding lubrication problem and the solids suspended in the oil aren't anything much to compare to the junk that's being collected on the bar anyway...
imo, $0.02, ymmv, etc., .... :)

The suspended solids in used engine oil are, for the most part, fine particles of metal. The junk that collects on the bar during use is wood dust. Surely you don't imagine that the two produce the same degree of wear on the chain and bar.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Hey Doug,
Check this out as for the hardness of wood. Check out the third picture down!! http://www.xmission.com/~tmathews/b29/e.html
Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

Interesting site too..
Reminded me of the marvelous PBS Nova program about the attempt to recover the B-29 "Kee Bird" from Greenland.
IIRC they did something creative with the wheels on that one too. Having no source of compressed air they filled the tires with propane they had on hand for cooking.
If you never heard about this 1994-95 rescue attempt and its unhappy ending, here's a link:
http://b-29s-over-korea.com/shortstories/b29-frozen.htm
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

What a bastard. A great yarn. John

"There are only a handful of B-29's left, out of over 4,000. Somehow nobody realized it until it was too late. At one time the Arizona desert was covered with B-29's, some flown in and in good condition. They were all scrapped. "
Confederate Air Force brought a 29 and a 17 out for static display when I was stationed in California. Together they had one tenth the hours of the 52 parked nearby. And it was one of the "young" ones, not an old hog like the D.