Do you need a GFCI outlet?

Page 1 of 2

I needed quite few GFCI outlets, simplex outlets, and 20A outlets for my house. If you've ever bought these you know they are not cheap, at least not $0.59 like the regular stuff. GFCI outlets are close to $20 anywhere here in NJ that I've been.
Started checking around online and couldn't believe how cheap the outlets were at Dale-Electric.com. I decided to give them a try. There website isn't the best in the world but if you download the pdf of their catalog you can just enter the stock numbers of what you want. They don't even give you the shipping amount when you complete your order but there is an estimate function.
My order totaled about $150 and when the shipping was added $159 was charged to my card from "Hill electric". Next day I got an email with a tracking number and the day after that I got my stuff. I have no affiliation just passing on a place that has great prices on outlets.
http://www.dale-electric.com/detail?itemnumberu99-W

Thanks for the link.
A question:
You said: "GFCI outlets are close to $20 anywhere here in NJ that I've been."
Did you try the electrical supply houses that the contractors use? I'd bet they are not $20 at those locations.
Where I live, there are at least 4 fancy "Lighting Centers" with a parts counter in the back, often accessed via the back door by the loading dock.
The front parking lot is filled with SUV's and mini-vans, but drive around the back and it's pickup trucks and contractor vans.

Yes, I even went to the places that sell wire lube in 5 gallon buckets and they wanted $15 for a 20A GFCI outlet. I guess that is just how it is in the peoples republic of NJ. I try to support the local stores and avoid the big box places when possible but I'm no Andrew Carnegie and can't afford to give money away.
I recently needed a fuel pump for my truck and Amazon had it for $280, including next day air. Best price I could get locally was $500 and that was the price the repair shops pay! Needless to say I waited one day for Amazon to get the pump to me that was Delphi and not a cheap knockoff.
They tax the hell out of businesses and residents in NJ. All that does is make it a downhill spiral, more taxes, higher prices, less sales, less revenue, and so on...
Much the same in NYS, I can get stuff shipped in cheaper than I can go to the stores. It is truly a downward spiral, as you say.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Same for The Peoples Republic of Maine...The highest taxed state in the nation by % of income....I get all I can online as well...Even with shipping it is still cheaper...What is really funny they put a box on the income tax return called Use Tax and you are suppose to pay tax on things you buy in tax free NH or online....Guess what I enter in that box ??? A big fat 0..Screw'em....LOL...
In

Yeah, that's a crock of u-n0-wat! NY form this year very clearly states it wants taxes on ANY untaxed purchases made online. How the hell do I know which ones were taxed and which ones weren't? And better yet, how do THEY know? They can go rub rock salt on that line! Twayne

NY is no different than any other state with a sales tax (though they will go over to NJ and send out "reminders"). If you use the widget in the state, the tax (may be called a "use" tax) is owed whether or not the seller collected it. They don't know, yet.

It won't be long before the government will have access to all your records...Maine has been trying for a few years to get the Credit Card Companies ,PayPal , EBAY , ect. to hand over data to no avail so far...God help us if they ever do...Though they did go after cigarettes successfully a while back so perhaps it's not as far off as we would like to think......

In NJ they have already gone after people who bought smokes online and didn't pay taxes. They forced the retailers in court to turn over their sales records for all NJ customers. It is only a matter of time before they figure out a way to get Amazon to turn over the info too.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23351894

One of the many, many reasons I moved out of NYC a long time ago.
That, and the traffic.
Limp Arbor wrote:

Look! On the hill! With the sun behind his back. Astride a golden stallion! Doves circling overhead. It is He who will smite with a righteous vengence all who visit iniquity upon our brethren!
Chris Christie has saved us!

Let's just hope that the only ties between Christie and Ritacco are that Ritacco was on Christie's transition team.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/04/fbi_raids_ocean_county_school.html
On 4/22/2010 10:24 AM, Limp Arbor wrote:

I live in PA and everyone I meet from the PRofNJ has the same rant. Someone had have to voted for the decades of politicians who moved the state so far to the left?
George wrote:

There are about 110,000 teachers in NJ (average salary ~$80,000*), and an untold number of administrators (avg salary ~$140,000). These are enough votes to sway almost any state-wide election.
----- * The average teacher's salaries, in Texas, are: Bachelor's degree: $43,000 Master's degree: $44,000 Doctorate: $47,000

Do you mind telling us why you need twenty ampere pattern National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) standard 5-20R duplex receptacles? That is what is costing you fifteen to twenty dollars apiece. Under the US National Electric Code (NEC), there is no outlet in a residence were you are required to have twenty ampere receptacles unless you have a single receptacle; not a more common duplex; as the only outlet on a twenty ampere circuit. If you use fifteen ampere NEMA pattern 5-15R duplex GFCI receptacles they are acceptable on any fifteen or twenty ampere circuit that is serving more than one load. If you are buying the twenty ampere receptacles because you think that they are required on kitchen circuits you are mistaken. Duplex fifteen ampere pattern 5-15R are perfectly acceptable on the kitchen counter top and dining room circuits under the US NEC. -- Tom Horne
I see you got Leviton, commercial. Good idea. And, that's a good price. Thank you, Mr. Limp Hill (ha-ha), for reccomending that with no relation.
http://www.google.com/products?q a+gfci+outlet&aq=0&oq a+gf
Froogle found some in that price range, but I doubt they were Leviton Commercial.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Limp Arbor wrote:

Could you not have installed a couple of ground fault circuit breakers or were too many circuits involved?
TDD
On Apr 22, 11:54am, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-

The breakers cost a lot more than outlets and the convenience of having the reset right there was also a reason. I wouldn't want to run all the way down to the basement if SWMBO drops her curling iron in the sink or if I lay my drill down in wet grass.
Another reason is that I'll bet most home inspector wouldn't be able to comprehend how a standard outlet on a kitchen counter could be GFCI protected if there is not a GFCI outlet nearby.
On 4/22/2010 10:07 AM Limp Arbor spake thus:

Um, I think that's what those "GFCI PROTECTED" stickers that come in the box with the outlet are for.

And in that you would be wrong. It is a basic part of any American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI) members training to use a shunt tester to check the function of downstream GFCI protection. -- Tom Horne