Do you need a GFCI outlet?

I needed quite few GFCI outlets, simplex outlets, and 20A outlets for my house. If you've ever bought these you know they are not cheap, at least not $0.59 like the regular stuff. GFCI outlets are close to $20 anywhere here in NJ that I've been.

Started checking around online and couldn't believe how cheap the outlets were at Dale-Electric.com. I decided to give them a try. There website isn't the best in the world but if you download the pdf of their catalog you can just enter the stock numbers of what you want. They don't even give you the shipping amount when you complete your order but there is an estimate function.

My order totaled about $150 and when the shipping was added $159 was charged to my card from "Hill electric". Next day I got an email with a tracking number and the day after that I got my stuff. I have no affiliation just passing on a place that has great prices on outlets.

Limp Arbor

Thanks for the link.

A question:

You said: "GFCI outlets are close to $20 anywhere here in NJ that I've been."

Did you try the electrical supply houses that the contractors use? I'd bet they are not $20 at those locations.

Where I live, there are at least 4 fancy "Lighting Centers" with a parts counter in the back, often accessed via the back door by the loading dock.

The front parking lot is filled with SUV's and mini-vans, but drive around the back and it's pickup trucks and contractor vans.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes, I even went to the places that sell wire lube in 5 gallon buckets and they wanted $15 for a 20A GFCI outlet. I guess that is just how it is in the peoples republic of NJ. I try to support the local stores and avoid the big box places when possible but I'm no Andrew Carnegie and can't afford to give money away.

I recently needed a fuel pump for my truck and Amazon had it for $280, including next day air. Best price I could get locally was $500 and that was the price the repair shops pay! Needless to say I waited one day for Amazon to get the pump to me that was Delphi and not a cheap knockoff.

They tax the hell out of businesses and residents in NJ. All that does is make it a downhill spiral, more taxes, higher prices, less sales, less revenue, and so on...

Reply to
Limp Arbor

I see you got Leviton, commercial. Good idea. And, that's a good price. Thank you, Mr. Limp Hill (ha-ha), for reccomending that with no relation.

Froogle found some in that price range, but I doubt they were Leviton Commercial.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Much the same in NYS, I can get stuff shipped in cheaper than I can go to the stores. It is truly a downward spiral, as you say.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One of the many, many reasons I moved out of NYC a long time ago.

That, and the traffic.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Could you not have installed a couple of ground fault circuit breakers or were too many circuits involved?

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If it were only a few circuits only a few GFCI *outlets* would be needed, too. A GFCI outlet can protect all outlets downstream of it.

Reply to
keith

The breakers cost a lot more than outlets and the convenience of having the reset right there was also a reason. I wouldn't want to run all the way down to the basement if SWMBO drops her curling iron in the sink or if I lay my drill down in wet grass.

Another reason is that I'll bet most home inspector wouldn't be able to comprehend how a standard outlet on a kitchen counter could be GFCI protected if there is not a GFCI outlet nearby.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Correct. That is how I did my basement. Feed goes to a GFCI outlet with 5 other protected outlets on the load side and one non-protected dedicated outlet on the line side.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Look! On the hill! With the sun behind his back. Astride a golden stallion! Doves circling overhead. It is He who will smite with a righteous vengence all who visit iniquity upon our brethren!

Chris Christie has saved us!

Reply to
HeyBub

Same for The Peoples Republic of Maine...The highest taxed state in the nation by % of income....I get all I can online as well...Even with shipping it is still cheaper...What is really funny they put a box on the income tax return called Use Tax and you are suppose to pay tax on things you buy in tax free NH or online....Guess what I enter in that box ??? A big fat

0..Screw'em....LOL...
Reply to
benick

Yeah, that's a crock of u-n0-wat! NY form this year very clearly states it wants taxes on ANY untaxed purchases made online. How the hell do I know which ones were taxed and which ones weren't? And better yet, how do THEY know? They can go rub rock salt on that line! Twayne

Reply to
Twayne

I live in PA and everyone I meet from the PRofNJ has the same rant. Someone had have to voted for the decades of politicians who moved the state so far to the left?

Reply to
George

NY is no different than any other state with a sales tax (though they will go over to NJ and send out "reminders"). If you use the widget in the state, the tax (may be called a "use" tax) is owed whether or not the seller collected it. They don't know, yet.

Reply to
krw

It won't be long before the government will have access to all your records...Maine has been trying for a few years to get the Credit Card Companies ,PayPal , EBAY , ect. to hand over data to no avail so far...God help us if they ever do...Though they did go after cigarettes successfully a while back so perhaps it's not as far off as we would like to think......

Reply to
benick

In NJ they have already gone after people who bought smokes online and didn't pay taxes. They forced the retailers in court to turn over their sales records for all NJ customers. It is only a matter of time before they figure out a way to get Amazon to turn over the info too.

Limp Arbor

Let's just hope that the only ties between Christie and Ritacco are that Ritacco was on Christie's transition team.

Limp Arbor

Years ago, I found GFCI breakers much more expensive than sockets. And there is some way to wire it, so that sockets "downstream" are also protected.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 4/22/2010 10:07 AM Limp Arbor spake thus:

Um, I think that's what those "GFCI PROTECTED" stickers that come in the box with the outlet are for.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl