GFCI outlets in kitchen

I am replacing my outlets in the kitchen to GFCI (w/stainless steel countertops I thought it might be a good idea...). I know 20A GFCI outlets are now code in kitchens. Can anyone tell me if the outlets serving the microwave (above stove, plugged in inside cabinet), fridge and stove need to be GFCI outlets? These outlets will be used exclusively for these appliances, and will not be accessible via the countertop. Thanks.

Reply to
chester

I have read that it is now allowed by code to replace non-grounded outlets with GFCI three prong outlets. I have am outlet behide the fridge that is a two prong (20A). I was considering bringing in a ground wire, but it would be a considerable hassle. Would it be OK to plug in my fridge to a GFCI outlet that does not have a ground? Seems any current leakage problems would be solved by the GFCI, but is there a quality issue that necessitates a ground when operating the fridge? thx

Reply to
chester

NOT a good idea. If the GFCI trips, what happens to your food?

Doug Miller

A Gfi tripped on my frige so I removed it , it is common I have heard, plus your food can spoil. It not recommended on the frige.

A microwave is well insulated I dont see it as necessary.

Reply to
m Ransley

Do not put a GFCI in for your refrigerator. It is not required by code for a refrigerator, and not recommended for any appliance.

Reply to
scott_z500

Do not put a GFCI in for your refrigerator. It is not required by code for a refrigerator, and not recommended for any appliance.

Reply to
scott_z500

Firstly one needs to remember why GFCI outlets are required in certain areas in the first place. That is for protection from some appliance or other electrical device that is plugged into the GFCI plug if that appliance happens to fall into a sink full of water. Having said that, I don't believe a refrigerator is in any danger of falling into a sink full of water. Plugs on countertops on either side of the sink should be GFCI, even if not required by code. But you MUST do the minimum code requirements. GFCI plugs in other areas that do not have a viable possibility of coming in contact with water either from rain or from a sink do not need to be there. B

Reply to
Brian O

SInce nobody else has mentioned it yet, if you put in a GFCI on a non-grounded circut, you are required to label the receptical "no equipment ground", or something like that.

Reply to
Goedjn

Actually the branch feeders only have to be 20A, and the GFCI's can be

15A(with 20A) passthru.

I recall the code saying if you have outlets not serving the counter top, having dedicated loads(refridge, etc), and aren't readily accessible, then you can omitt the gfci requirement.

In no way take this as fact, you need to reference the code, and find out if your local authority inacted further restrictions.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom