Do you have the receipt?

Page 4 of 6
On 6/22/2015 11:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'm with you, that some customers are a bit too much trouble.
In the above case, I hope you changed your bill, and only billed them wholesale plus labor rate for the time you took to drive the part to and from the parts house.
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 08:49:46 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Nope. I said "find another sucker" and left. Wasn't worth the trouble.

Doctor complained when after doing some repairs to his car I told him that I was sure we had solved the problem, but if it wasn't 100% to his liking he could bring it back and I'd do a final adjustment for him, gratis. He thought for what we charged it should last forever, and be perfect the first time. I told him diagnosis is difficult, and everybody can miss once in a while - but as a mechanic I fixed my mistakes - I didn't bury them.
Teacher complained mechanics charged too much (and this was after my stint at teaching) so I said unlike teachers, I guaranteed my job.

I did the same thing at a business I worked for. They didn't blink an eye because the guy in charge didn't have time to provide a resolution. They also saved thousands of bux and the guy in charge was eternally grateful for me helping him. He was a good guy all around...
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On Mon, 22 Jun 2015 19:28:51 -0700, "taxed and spent"

Yes. Chris was looking for trouble when he didn't just quote a price for the part and be done with it.
"Told her I guessed the part was about $25, bought it years ago."
Three separate problems he caused himself in that one sentence. "guessed", "about" "years ago". Years ago is iffy, but a lot of people don't understand that stock normally increases in valuie while it sits in inventory, and many stores encourage the belief that it doesn't by, on special occasions when it's relevant, saying they sell old stock based on what the wholesale price was then, and new stock based on what it is now.
But In fact I'm not sure Chris was saying he'd increased his price from what he woudl have charged if he had used the part when he bought it "years ago. It doesn't matter because he said "guessed" and "about", and so she was trying to help him figure out what he paid. I'm not at al convinced she wasnt' willing to give him a profit on the part, but what I know she did want is to remind him of what he paid for the part.
I also can't tell if when Chris said it was about 25 if that's what he paid for it or if that's what he intended to charge for it, based on what he paid for it.
Chris, next time just say, The part is 25 dollars. Or whatever it is with your profit. I'll bet that's what you usually say, and that's why t his hasn't happened before.
On 6/22/2015 11:35 PM, micky wrote:

Well, that gives me a lot to think about. Perhaps I ought to write the MSRP on the bag, and that way I can sound a lot more definite about prices. Good idea, thanks.
On 6/22/2015 10:28 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

The cost is what someone is willing to pay. Take bottles water. I'd not pay 50¢ for a bottle at the store down the street, but stranded in the middle of the desert I'd pay $20+ for it.
Fix my fridge and keep $200 worth of food from spoiling . . .

So his reply should have been: "what's it worth to you"?

Excuse my more obsessive ways, but PRICE is what someone is willing to pay. Cost usually has nothing to do with that from the buyer and is more involved with the producer and is the price is worth it given the cost.. If it did, nobody would ever go out of business.

but what they conceal is vital.?
, she expects the repair guy to not just make up a number out of his head.

Went to a major league ball game a number of years ago. They wanted $ 4.00 for a bottle of water when you can get about 20 of them in the store for that price.. Big ripoff when you take the family and have several to buy for. The next time we went we took small coolers and our own drinks.
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:53:39 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

They let you bring your own drinks in?

This was in the Atlanta baseball about 20 or more years ago. The drinks had to be in plastic bottles.
First time we went was with a bus tour. My wife and I had a soft drink in cans that we had finished with and was really looking for a place to place the emptys. We go to the entrance and the security was looking in bags and things , They were nice, but told up we could not take the cans in with us. That was fine as we told him we were just looking for a trash can anyway as they were empty.
The coolers had to be small. The ones we took were only about a foot in each direction. Just large enough for about two people.
The year they built the new statium it was said that you could not bring things in but about a month before we went they had changed th rules.
After the childern got grown we don't do sports, so I don't have any idea about now.
On 6/23/2015 5:51 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Watch this thread morph into refrigerator repair in about 24 hours.

Maybe, but Jane first.

On 6/23/2015 7:46 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I do chill my drinks in the fridge before heading out to the ball game so it is related.
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 19:46:26 -0400, Stormin Mormon

The battery for my koolatron portable refrigerator doesn't last past the second inning at the ball game. Do any of those battery revival powders actually work? What about in VRLA batteries?
Gee, stormy - it didn't even take 3 hours!!!!!!!
On 6/23/2015 11:25 AM, CRNG wrote:

You can usually bring in sealed bottles of water, even at the strictest venues. And thermoses.
On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:53:39 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

Most places wouldn't let you in with the cooler - a lot of places, not even with a single water bottle.
On 6/23/2015 8:53 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

No coolers allowed anymore. You can still take in sealed bottles of water. Or vodka <
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmY5uN18SaU
.

That is not the cost - that is the VALUE. The cost of the water may be the same in both cases. It may be a bit higher if it has to be trucked farther to the desert location. The PRICE needs to reflect the value, and excede the cost, in order for a business to be viable.
Like an auctioneer friend of mine said years ago - "an article is worth exactly what the highest bidder is willing to pay on a psrticular day - not one penny more, and not one penny less"