DIY Vinyl Siding - What should I know

I want to install vinyl siding on my eaves and over my soffet areas, the rest of the house is brick. The house is about 40' long x 50' wide. What should a DIY'r know before going down to a supplier and buying materials, what would I expect for percentage of waste. Do you typically install siding around the garage and entry door frames, wood framed windows or painting is generally the norm? Are there any addtl brackets, parts, screws, clips that I wouldn't know about?
Do I need to remove the soffet board completely, to provide adequate venting of a perforatted vinyl soffet? Besides nailing up loose parts, do I need a good coat of paint on before the siding?
It appears easy enough, but I'd like to know what I'd be expecting in cost and time. It to me seems like it is very simple. A year or so back, I had it quoted, and received a huge sticker shock ($17-20K) just for the eaves. I was told then it was because of all the cutting and bending. Surely it can be accomplished by a DIY'r for closer to $1-3K in materials. -- -- remove "nospam" to reply
Go to the store and get a copy of the installation manual and study it. I did a house I owned about 20 years ago although I ran out of time and had to hire someone to finish it. Most important thing is to nail loosely so stuff can move, big overlaps and do not stagger seams. Materials have changed in 20 years but back then you need a way to cut it (better if someone stays on the ground and you call out measurements and he cuts it and throws piece up to you), a pulling tool and an indenting tool. Use corners and J channels.... the latter to box stuff out.

If traffic noise is, or is going to be a problem, now would be the time to consider adding some sound control barrier (MLV) under the siding. ALso, vinyl siding with foam inlays are said to be better thermal insulators and noise control panels.
Go to http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/flooring.htm
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 02:35:27 GMT, "~chilly"