dishwasher not draining

I just wanted to post my recent experience with our dishwasher not draining at the end of the cycle. Initially it started with small amount of water left at the bottom. Few days back there was more water. After some poking around and web searches, I checked the air gap on the sink, next to the faucet. The pipe end inside was completely clogged with some lint like stuff. After I removed the clog, the dishwater started draining properly. Cleaning up the air gap was was simple. I pulled out the cover and then unscrewed the base.
Hopefully this will help others with similar problem.
-Dipu
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I'm having the same problem. Where is the air gap located? Got any pictures? Thanks
Brian wrote:

You're kidding, right?
It's that pipe sticking up off your sink.
It's a vent.
7 LAMPSTICKS 7 FEASTS 7 AGES OF DISPENSATION wrote:

I should of preceded my comment with ** WARNING ** : NEW HOMEOWNER. I don't have a pipe sticking up off my sink so I guess I don't have an air gap.

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appliance/dishwasher/check/airgap.php
Brian wrote:

I dont have any picture my sink. This is something came up on google image search
http://www.smartplumber.org/sitebuilder/images/drain_connection_to_air_gap_-420x420.jpg
Also here are two schematics from thw web
http://www.appliance411.com/faq/DW-drain-no-gap.gif
http://www.appliance411.com/faq/DW-drain-with-gap.gif
Hope that helps.
-Dipu
When I had this problem it wasn't the air gap. There was some hard food matter that had gotten stuck in the drain outlet. I had to disconnect the drain hose and take off the drain outlet (located at the front of the dishwasher on the bottom, right behind the cover plate at the bottom). The clog was very small, but enough to cause the dishwasher not to drain.