Dishwasher leaves grit on dishes

Page 2 of 2

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 17:39:21 -0400, "Jeff The Drunk"

Yore dawg is named "Soap and Water" I presume.
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 18:34:04 -0400, joevan

Nah, mah dawg is named Dammit!
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 14:14:21 -0400, Van Chocstraw

We had a slight argument in college once concerning who was supposed to clean a pot that we made mashed potatoes in. So no one did clean it. It sat for a few months. Finally someone banged it in the sink, whatever residue that was in it fell out and the pot had cleaned itself. Given enough space and time, nature will take care of it. Usually we don't have sufficient dishes for that approach.

Brings to mind an old family tale.
My grandfather was a diamond prospector (digger)in South Africa. The diamond that he used to get engaged to his wife was one that he found himself. My wife now wears it as a second ring.
Anyway, the life of diggers were kind of rough, and they needed a lot of water for washing the rough ore to find diamonds, so water was always in short supply.
After my grandmother died, he briefly went back to prospecting for diamonds again (some say it was just a guise for smuggling uncut diamonds, which was illegal in South Africa, but nowhere else in the world). While on site, I once went to visit him to see how it was done He invited us for a meal and told the story about another digger who always invited people over for meals and assured them that his flatware was "as clean as soap and water could get it." My grandfather said he stopped going over for dinner after the first meal when his host gathered the used flatware, took them outside the trailer, laid them on the ground and called out" "Here Soap, here Water, dinner!"
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Almost certainly the water in which you are washing dishes by hand is not as hot as the water in which modern dishwashers wash dishes. Even if it's 120 degrees F as it comes out of the faucet, it won't stay that way for long. And your hands probably wouldn't stand it for long.
Almost certainly the dishwashing detergent you use to wash dishes by hand is not as potent as the detergent designed for dishwashers. If it's easy on your hands, it's not as aggressive at removing grease, etc.
Certainly (no "almost" this time) you are not rinsing your dishes in 180-degree water, let alone maintaining them at that temperature for several minutes to sanitize them, as our dishwasher does.
I've never seen a dishwasher that didn't allow "heated dry" to be turned off.
The only time I've seen crud left on items coming out of our Whirlpool-built Kenmore dishwasher is when it wasn't loaded properly.
Perce

Dept. of Health here test the dish washing sink hot water at our local school and insist that it be 160 deg F or higher. So that hot water is fed from a separate hot water heater adjacent to to the kitchen area. Whereas the hand washing hot water for the students washrooms is at much lower temperature from another source. Best way to use dishwasher is to add dishes until it is full and then run it. I have several cutting board which are used only once (especially if cutting certain meats such as raw chicken) at a time and then placed in dishwasher. As a single pensioner mine is run about two or three times a week and will contain many tea mugs each time!
"BM" <BM2home.com> wrote in message

If you run it empty, do you find the same residue on the inner surfaces or racks?

Is this something new or has it always been this way?
BM <BM2home.com> wrote in

Have you taken the chopper assembly apart and checked it? Had very similar issue once. Found chopper all messed up. Broken plastic, washer and clip came apart as well as some broken glass bits. Replaced assembly.

To this, I'll add the fact that there are some vegetable parts which can only be chewed up by microorganisms or plastic explosives, and some people do a lousy job of scraping plates because they think food disposals & dishwashers can handle anything.
Many years ago, I discovered you can make the strongest rope in the universe by putting kale stems into the sink disposal.
"BM" <BM2home.com> wrote in message

Some detergents leave behind what looks like grit. That happens when the water is not circulating properly, the water is not hot enough, or the water is hard and not rinsing properly.
It is also possible that you are suddenly getting grit from your water source or the hot water heater is about to crap out and is sending mineral deposits. Take some hot water in a clean glass container and let it settle out overnight to see if there is any solids.

Do all dishwashers have a way of heating the incoming water, or just the better ones?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

AFAIK All do. BUT a repairman recommended that all users let hot water run at kitchen faucet till it is really hot prior to turning on DW.
Lou
Try running some vinegar in your next load. It will also shine your dishes.
--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

On Fri 02 Oct 2009 10:27:04a, Dymphna told us...

Except that when you do, do not put in any items that are tinned steel. They will rust quickly.
--

~~ If there\'s a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it. ~~

BM <BM2home.com> wrote:

A member of the family was complaining about this same problem. We went through everything: changing detergent, checking water pressure, checking the water softener. After months of complaining, said same family member admitted she had been loading the silverware basket with tall utensils that were keeping the arm from swinging.