Dishwasher - Leaves a Residue on Dishes when Finished

A few months ago I had a new kitchen fitted and this included a new dishwasher (Neff S5555).

The dishwasher is in exactly the same location using the same water\\waste connections as the previous dishwasher which did a great job for 13 years.

I first noticed the problem with cups and glasses. As my nose not close to the rim when drinking I could detect an unpleasant stale smell.

I tried a few 'clean' cups and glasses and many were the same. I checked that my family could detect the smell and they all could.

I have tried various brands of dishwasher powder (all in the cube form) and the results are the same. I've also checked that rinse aid is kept topped up.

I have taken to rinse the cups and glasses before use and they are fine after a swig of fresh water. I have noticed that there appears to be a dried residue as I wash them.

More recently, when I have taken glasses out of the washer still warm and wet I've notices that they are coated with a slimey rsidue which I guess is the siurce of the smell once it has dried.

Any ideas what this could be or what I could try?

Never had any problem with the previous washer.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

At a guess I would say that the problem could be linked to the waste outlet. Quite often the waste pipes get semi blocked with sludge type residue particularly with smaller diameter pipework. When that happens the machine can't get rid of all the dirty water and the final rinse water gets contaminated. Try cleaning all of the waste pipes, sometimes cleaning additives can work but the most effective way is to remove pipes and flush them out.

Reply to
AJH

Definitely check outlet pipes first. I found my outlet for Dishwasher & Washing Machine - a 1 1/2" pipe was so blocked I could scarcely put a pencil down it. Now I do a regular wash at 90 degrees to help keep the crud at bay, especially with all these low temp washes.

colin

At a guess I would say that the problem could be linked to the waste outlet. Quite often the waste pipes get semi blocked with sludge type residue particularly with smaller diameter pipework. When that happens the machine can't get rid of all the dirty water and the final rinse water gets contaminated. Try cleaning all of the waste pipes, sometimes cleaning additives can work but the most effective way is to remove pipes and flush them out.

Reply to
Colin Jackson

Okay, will give that a go.

My problem is that the dishwasher is an integrated type so will be quite a bit of work to get at the pipe.

Will try a hot wash next time.

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

"Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>" Okay, will give that a go.

I wouldn't have thought it was a blockage. If the water can't empty properly, the programme will stick at that point, it should not carry on through the rinses with the same water. The rinse aid is taken on the final rinse, so this is the most likely suspect, I would try removing the old stuff as much as possible with something like a syringe, then try a different rinse aid.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

I'd try running it on the hottest setting first as that will clear any grease if you can't access the pipe work.

Reply to
David Kennedy

It might be worth checking with Neff, sometimes the technical helplines can be helpful (not always!) A built in unit shouldn't really be a big deal to slide out to get to the drain pipework. Some dishwashers connect to the kitchen sink waste pipe and because of the small diameters involved the junction can block fairly easily. Look under your sink to see if there is a connection there which can be unscrewed and cleaned. Also try posting on an appliance repair forum for help as well, this site is a source of good info

although it's a USA one.

Reply to
AJH

please post through the forum not direct!

Reply to
AJH

Sorry, thought I had. I had absolutely no intention of posting anywhere other than the newsgroup.

This is what I posted

What puzzles me is how could the waste be blocked but the dishwasher appear to drain without any problem.

Surely it wouldn't be able to get rid of the water?

Cheers,

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Heather

"Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk>" Sorry, thought I had. I had absolutely no intention of posting anywhere

That's true, hence my earlier post, repeated below in case you missed it.