Dishwasher driving us crazy

We have a fairly expensive ($800) KitchenAid dishwasher that's about 2 years old.
First of all, the manual says you don't even need to rinse dishes. Just scrape off the big stuff and put them in. But the dishes come out crusted with food particles.
So even if we rinse EVERYTHING first, it still happens. The side rails of the sliding shelves are caked with crud. I used a scrub brush to clean them off, ran a cycle of vinegar, and even used that Dishwasher Magic.
Within a week, they are caked with crud again, and the dishes come out filthy. We have to wash half of our dishes after running them through the dishwasher!!!
Does anyone know what's causing this and what can be done about it?
Make sure the water is hot!
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:

I have a mid-range Kitchenaid & I have to fill the detergent cups to the top & make sure not to put alot of large pots, etc on the lower rack or I get them same results.
As the other postes metioned check the spray arms for freedom & blockage.
Bert
accumulated crud in the drain hose? remove and replace it?