Dishwasher doesn't dry properly

Page 2 of 2
Higgs,
Check the heating element.
Dave M.
my non working heat dry also prevents the water from heating to clean during the wash cycle. the heater and thermistor have both been replaced once
On Tue, 27 May 2014 06:01:26 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

A silverware basket in the door sounds like just about the stupidest place for it; I'm sure there are reasons, but having everything clatter around and fall as you open the door would be annoying, and it can't possibly get them as clean as on the rack.
To second another suggestion; I'm pretty happy with our 12-year-old Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher -- it's a higher end model with a display showing the time remaining, which is GREAT, a feature I'd never live without again.
I've never known a dishwasher that gets everything bone dry before it's opened -- perhaps we just never had a good one when I was growing up (we did have LOUD ones!), or perhaps it's the type of dishes (dishes/cups with concave recesses when they're on the rack, and plasticware are the most likely to have water in them). I don't bother with the "power dry" at all; when I'm around I just pop the door all the way open right after the last rinse (this is where the time remaining is a huge benefit), pull out the racks and shake out the things that have standing water. If the dishes are hot when I do that, 15-30 minutes later everything's dry enough to put away. If I do it the next day when it's cold, it can take hours for them to dry.
There are other philosophies (leave it closed, open it shake and re-close, etc), but for me opening it all the way up and letting the hot dishes evaporate into the relatively dry house works best.
This dishwasher takes ~90 minutes, and is reasonably quiet (can tell that it's running in the same room, but not in the next). I wouldn't trade it for those rumored 2-4 hour cycles some of the new ones take. I don't need "pin-drop silent". So glad we've moved beyond the 1980s Maytag "Rhuga Rhuga Rhuga" era that made us turn the TV up 2 rooms away...
Josh
On 5/27/2014 11:16 AM, Josh wrote:

Looks like you won't have a choice next time around. I'm not sure why it would have to take so long to save energy.
99% of the time it does not matter. We usually start it after dinner or before going to bed so it has many hours to do the job.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

New DW we got is like at 47db sound level when running. Only thing it is running is indicated by light marked "active" The amount of water it uses is so little it's hard to believe it does the job. Is that Frigidaire DW energy star qualified one?

I think Ed is correct. Quality has gone pretty much right down the toilet.
We we redid our kitchen last summer we purchased a Kitchen Aide and again, like Ed mentioned, it works great. Lots better than the Kenmore Elite that it replaced. But I had to pay 3+ times what the others cost. But it was most likely the last kitchen upgrade I'll ever do.
Good luck.
BobMCT wrote:

Really speaking of build quality of any thing, wife dropped her laptop ending up with broken hinge on one side, B4 it quits altogether I went out to try new laptops. Every one of them felt so flimsy I ended up buying 4 year NOS Toshiba which is built like tank. Any one watched Panasonic Tough Book and Motorola's equivalent one going through all kinds of abuse? First driving a car over them, pouring water, sand, heat them up under direct sun light. Lastly they blew them up with TNT sticks. Still they remained in one piece but dead. Motorola one fared better there. My field work laptop is Durabook semi-rugged mil-spec. one. I can drop it or bang them around without any problems.
Higgs Boson posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

I suppose you never complained when new. I would replace her with a newer one and life will be better.
--
Tekkie

On 5/26/2014 2:59 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

dw. As I previously said, this wp cleans better than any of the KA that we had in the past 40 years. We are using the all-in-one Finish Power Ball (sounds like a lottery game). Without rinse agent everything dried well, except for the depressions on the bottoms of glasses, etc. Plastic was always wet. After the 1st load using the rinse agent, my wife said this is much, much better. The only places where water remained was in the cover groves and in the back side of the plastic rolled over edges. BTW, after the cycle, I opened the dw to let it completely cool. So, yes, it is a great improvement. Will it give you cancer in 50 years .... I don't know.
Art Todesco posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

real set of gonads! Charlie Harper would be proud!
--
Tekkie

On Thu, 29 May 2014 13:53:54 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

Rinse aid is just a chemical that lowers the surface tension of the water so that instead of forming drops of water that stay on the dishes and silverware it "sheets" off. Think of it like the difference between a waxed car where the water just runs off versus an unwaxed car where the water just beads up and sits there. The problem with rinse aid in the costco detergent is that even though it may have it in it, it still pretty much all gets rinsed off in the rinse cycle. The rinse aid that you put in the rinse aid dispenser gets dispensed in each of the cycles including the rinse cycle so it's bound to work better then in the detergent.
As far are brands, I've had a lot of different brands over the years and have been happiest with the Whirlpools. Had a Maytag that was terrible, had a couple frididares that were so so, had a GE that cleaned well but left black spots on everything from the inside of the hoses deteriorating, now I always buy Kenmore, which are usually, but not always, made by Whirlpool. My current Kenmore is around 14 years old and cleans very well. Racks are starting to rust though. My sister likes high end crap and she's got Bosch or some overpriced brand that's all metal. Doesn't clean well and doesn't dry well and the rack are poorly designed and difficult to load. And it beeps forever when the cycle is done until you open the door. Big pain in the ass if you start a load and go to bed. All night long you hear it beeping if you are sleeping in her guest room. I much prefer my Kenmore.
On Friday, May 30, 2014 6:05:41 PM UTC-7, Ashton Crusher wrote:

[big snip...]

Tx - makes sense.
Now I have to look for a source to get large bottles of rin$e agent - the small bottles are very expensive.
Costco said they don't carry rin$e agent. Anybody know of a store that sells big bottles?
On-line I found 32 oz. Jet Dry for $19.00 and $15.00 free shipping. Is that an OK brand?
TIA
HB
On 5/30/2014 11:12 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Jet Dry and Cascade are good brands. Been using both for many years. 32 oz. will last a very long time.
I buy it at BJs so I'm surprised Costco would not have it.
On Friday, May 30, 2014 9:43:14 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Maybe the employee didn't understand me over the phone. Costco used to carry it. Next time I'm there I'll check. I did see that Target has it -- not far from me.
HB