Dishwasher Cleaning Cycle Question

Hello,
Have a new Kitchenaid Dishwasher.
Apparently it senses the number of dishes put in to be cleaned, and/or the amount of dirt on them, and adjust the wash cycle time accordingly.
Can't imagine how they sense it.
Certainly no photocell, or weight of the basket measurements.
Any idea how done ?
Thanks, Bob
On 01/01/10 06:34 pm, Bob wrote:

Kitchenaid is Whirlpool? We have a Whirlpool-built Kenmore, and I thought I read that it does in fact use a photocell to estimate how dirty the dishes (etc.) are.
Perce
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Hi, If it uses photo cell to see how dirty A dish is I'd imagine the photo cell is sensing the reflectivity of the dish.

This makes no sense since dishes come in different colors and textures. There is no need to sense every dish. The way I would do this is to run a short cycle then pass a light trough the water to the photocell. This will easily tell me how dirty the whole lot is.

If you notice, the dishwasher will run for just a minute or so when it is first started and then stop for a brief period. During that time a sensor down in the tub area determines how much dirt has been rinsed into the water and then determines the time necessary to complete the wash and the dishwasher resumes washing.

I would guess that they use a photocell but it can probably be done simply by measuring the resistance of the water. This will require two electrodes which can be easily hidden.
Bob wrote:

It senses the water as it circulates, probably something like a TDS meter.
We have a KA and it does a fantastic job of cleaning the dishes. I'm still amazed at how the glassware sparkles.