Discontinued Glazed wall tiles

I am replacing a toilet suite and have found that the original wa

fitted directly against the wall rather than on top of the wall tile and consequently I am left with an unsightly area that requires me t source a number of discontinued glazed wall tiles that were probabl made in the early 80s. I can recall a company name 'Crystal Wall Tiles'. Can anyone help me t identify a possible source of supply? Many thanks

-- ibbotsnm

Reply to
ibbotsnm

Tiles, like fashion and car styles, have a short production life. Whatever was made in the 80s will in all probability not be available now. You may need to find a contrasting tile of the same thickness and try to create a pattern so that it looks like it was intended to be that way.

By the way, I remember a company that was called Crystal Wall Tiles. They were sold in Canada for a while. I sort of recall that they were thin and economical, about 4" x 4" in size and sold as an early DIY product. Most tiles are now produced in Europe and other regions.

I checked and found a half dozen tiles that my wife picked up in the late

70s or early 80s, to fit some trivets. They are made by "H & R Johnson Ltd., England -- Cristal Tiles", they measure 4 3/8" x 4 3/8" x 1/8" thick.

Have no idea where we got them or where you could find them.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Try

they are an English company and make Cristal Tiles.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Thanks for your very prompt response. The name Johnson will be great starting point.

NM

-- ibbotsnm

Reply to
ibbotsnm

Eric got that right! That's been my philosophy for years, only not stated so formally. Mine is " Make it look like it's 'sposed to be that way." Say I am almost finished with a desk top and put a horrible ding at one end. Stead of starting all over, cut it out put in a nice enlay, do the same in same place at the other end. No extra charge for the marquetry. Maybe some narrow trim tiles sorta outlining the toilet and complimentary or contrasting tiles inside? A thing I once did in my showerstall in a similar situation, was buy some close tiles, and randomly removed some tiles from the walls. then replaced with some new and mixed new and old randomly in the empty space. It was a subtle randomness, almost a pattern , and it looked like it was s'posed to be that way. yum yum toungy here and here and here and maybe even there

Reply to
lurking licker