Delta Faucet Question

Have a Delta Single Handle Monitor series 1300 faucet. Their is a push button diverter valve to divert the water up to the shower head. When the water is on, you push in the diverter valve and it stays on, when you shut off the water the valve "should" pop out. Here in lies the problem, it doesn't. You must pull it out manually. Not really a big problem, but would like it to work. I have replaced the diverter valve BP5649 with a Home Depot replacement. Fits OK and works to divert water OK, but does not pop out when the water is off. Tried some WD-40 (think the hot water washes that off after while) Thought about taking it apart and stretching the spring. Any thoughts out there?? Should I get a genuine Delta replacement part?
TIA Bob