Delta bathroom faucet repair 101 (please)

Please excuse my ignorant question here, I am not a handyman.
I have a washerless Delta ball-handle faucet in my bathroom (http://www.deltafaucet.com/custserv/pdfs/lsh.pdf - it's the one on the left).
In recent weeks, the faucet has started sporadically leaking a thin stream of water with black specks in it from the back of the faucet handle. It's just a small stream, the only way I notice it is because it forms a puddle on the back of the sink. This happens maybe 25% of the time I use the faucet.
My first question is what do you suggest I repair? The diagram above suggests a kit called RP3614, if I'm interpreting that right.
My second question is much more elementary. I was able to pop off the hot/cold indicator cap from the faucet. I was able to remove the screw under the cap, the one that holds the ball handle in place. But then what? Even with a moderate-to-strong amount of force pulling upward, I can't get the ball handle off. What's the trick to removing it?
1. That screw is the only thing holding the plastic handle on. Give it a good "rap" with the palm of your hand. It will come off. Or put a coupla drops of penetrating oil into the hole vacated by the screw...might help. 2. Yes, the 3614 kit is what you need. It's a simple repair. If you had the other style you could tighten down that packing nut right under the handle and that would probably solve the problem.

Okay, that was simple enough. I pulled the ball off with no problem, once I had the reassurance that all I had to do was pull the ball off.
Next problem: In the diagram above, it makes it look like everything just comes out once the ball is off. But in reality, the stuff is still packed together pretty tightly. Looks like I need to get the "ball assembly" (on the diagram it looks like a metal circle with a small hole on it, over a rubber round thing, over a ball with a long stem that goes through the hole in the metal circle) removed.
Presumably, the 3614 kit has instructions on how to do that. Any tips you can give me? Will I need some kind of special tools?
Everything comes in the kit.
(By the way, if you have a Delta kitchen faucet with the sprayer being part of the faucet (it pulls out with a hose instead of a separate sprayer), those are a real pain to repair and easy to ruin if blindly following the instructions like I did. I replaced it with a Moen.)

coupla
had
I think that metal circle, with the slot for the ball handle has a set screw in its side...look all the way around. I'm working from memory here, but it likely uses a hex key/allen wrench to loosen. Once you do, then everything else comes loose. I think the 3614 kit replaces the rubber ring below it. Hope that helps. Gary

coupla
had
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:56:15 GMT, trader-of-some-jacks

I just wanted to add that next time, you can sometimes force the innards out by gently and temporarily turning on the water after having removed the top. It is messy but it was the only way I could get mine off.
And no special tools needed as you just need the replace the stuff that comes in the kit. Pj
A Stormin Moron classic Spam
trader-of-some-jacks wrote:

Just get the kit. It comes with tools and instructions. Easy to do. Don't overtighten when re-assembling.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Many faucets/plumbing fixtures have long warranties. You can often get a free replacement by calling the manufacturer.
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/plumbingfixtures.htm
jim
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 01:44:09 GMT, trader-of-some-jacks

Thanks all. The 3614 kit cost about $8 and did have everything I needed. The leak I was getting didn't occur most of the time, so only time will tell if I've killed the problem entirely.
The worst part of this for me was removing the shiny chrome collar that holds the innards of the faucet in place. It was REALLY tight, and between the actual faucet itself in front and the drain release in back, there was almost no room to grip the thing and turn. It's a small miracle that I didn't scratch the chrome. What's the "right" or "best" way to remove that collar, should I have to do it again in 25 years?
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:44:54 GMT, trader-of-some-jacks

Excellent tools is probably the best thing to start with. I often use painters tape to wrap the chrome plated portions before I touch them with my plumbing wrench. I also have used oil filter wrenches (with tape) successfully when the caps are locked. I've seen others use nylon straps on chrome pipes.
PJ