Dehumidifier

can anybody help me with what kind to buy? I would like a dehumidifier as quiet as possible. Also i want it to turn off when it's done dehumidifying. If you put it in a humid room it should run until it's taken moisture out to the target level, then STOP.
i bought a Whirlpool that doesn't do this. After it gets the humidity down, the fan keeps on running. They could never fix it and i'm not sure if this is a defect or an energy-efficiency feature.
laura
My Whirlpool does turn off the fan. It even works well finally after three recalls. :) It has a two speed fan and at low speed it is reasonably quiet. I am sure other brands do as well.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
i have a 40 pints/day Whirlpool in a 300 sq ft room. It's damp here but not soaking. I empty the 20 pint bucket once every 5 days or so. So it's not dehumidifying at its max rate. But it's on almost all of the time.
After many repair attempts whirlpool is buying it back.
i'm not sure whether running the fan so much is how it's supposed to work.
It can turn off the fan on its moistest setting, but it *seems like it shouldn't be running so much. It seems like the fan is probably running a lot without the compressor running, which it isn't supposed to do.
i mean, do some models just run a lot like that? And which ones wouldn't? i would rather have something that is making noise maybe 10% of the time.
And what other brands would be less noisy when they are running?
Maybe if i got something more powerful, it would be on less of the time?
thanks laura
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Joseph Meehan wrote:

I bought a Kenmore from Sears and got rid of it . . . put out too much heat (ran on 700 watts) and sounded like the Second Coming. Would have been ok in a cold cellar, but not for hot humid livingrooms. --Tock
I just purchased the largest dehumidifier sears has it consumes only 350 watts

How about a window fan?
This morning it's 76.1 F outdoors, with 33% relative humidity. Indoors, it's 67 F and 62%. The indoor and outdoor vapor pressures are Po = 0.33e^(17.863-9621/(460+76.1)) = 0.304 and Pi = 0.418 "Hg, with humidity ratios wo = 0.62198/(29.921/Po-1) = 0.00637 and wi = 0.00882, so a $12 20" 800 cfm 100 W window box fan can remove water at a rate of 800x60x0.075(wi-wo) = 8.8 pints per hour, or 231 pints per day.
In summertime, it's better to do this at night when outdoor air is cooler than indoor air, if possible. How often do cool dry nights happen? How much water can a house store in its drywall and concrete and furnishings? We can also heat a house this way in the spring and fall, by condensing _some_ water vapor from outdoor air on interior surfaces.
Nick