damn that Julie Bove!

Page 3 of 8
On 10/05/2014 08:24 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi Tony,
I have a black thumb. I have cherry tomatoes, one Box Car Willy tomato, tomatillos, zukes, parsley, eggplant, purslane, and garlic. I had 5 zuke plant last year. If memory serves me right, I got 5 fruit total last year. This year I compensated by planting 14 zukes. My best week I got 18. This week I got three tiny ones. ("Oh Ya. You plant two zuke plants and you will have to give them away!" Yes, I have friends that would pull my leg like that.)
If you have not tasted home grown garlic, you must! On My Goodness. Garlic is proof God loves us (not beer).
I have been making up Ratatouille with the zukes and eggplant. Ratatouille from the store is horrible. But when you make it up yourself, oh boy is it good! (It is also an excuse to use a half a bulb of garlic. Note that I said bulb, not clove. You can never use too much garlic!)
I have been blanching my excess and freezing it for the winter. I am looking forward to decent produce in the off months. Do you do canning and/or blanching?
Make sure your wife's god mother brings her camera!
-T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
the riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped

<SNIP> > The new installers said that most of the companies in this area and not just

in a

foreign

outsources

Every since getting online, I check licenses for any contractors to see if there are outstanding complaints and that are bonded, have insurance and, if they have employees, workers comp. Except for very small chores, I get 3 references - recent and a few years back, and check them all out.
I had a plumber quote me a hot water heater installation that as mostly a rooter guy, and didn't know enough for a water heater job. I ended up getting someone else. Later I called that first one for rooting and he had sold the business and moved out of state 3 years ago. Meanwhile, the guy who bought the company had closed it and was just doing work on the side of his regular job. From what I've seen, a lot of these companies come and go.

<SNIP> > The new installers said that most of the companies in this area and not

Every since getting online, I check licenses for any contractors to see if there are outstanding complaints and that are bonded, have insurance and, if they have employees, workers comp. Except for very small chores, I get 3 references - recent and a few years back, and check them all out.
I had a plumber quote me a hot water heater installation that as mostly a rooter guy, and didn't know enough for a water heater job. I ended up getting someone else. Later I called that first one for rooting and he had sold the business and moved out of state 3 years ago. Meanwhile, the guy who bought the company had closed it and was just doing work on the side of his regular job. From what I've seen, a lot of these companies come and go.
== The main problem with the door saga was that I had just gotten out of the hospital. I won't get into all of that here but I had nearly died and was very weak plus even more disabled than usual because I was still recovering from a foot operation.
While I had been in the hospital, my sister in law accidentally broke the last working door opener that we had. So she was going to have my brother call the company I eventually did go to to put it right to install a new opener, give us three remotes for the cars and install a wireless keypad. And from there it all goes South.
Somehow those people couldn't do the job then nor did they know when they could get to it so my brother called this other place that he said came highly rated. I have since looked for any sort of ratings about them and can find none except for my complaint to the BBB.
And because I was weak, still very ill and trying to recover, I couldn't go out there and oversee what was going on. Plus my husband already paid the company half of the money before they even did the job. I would not have given them a dime until the job was completed.
To make matters worse, my husband just left. He wants nothing to do with waiting around or overseeing anything. I begged him to stay. And my daughter was in school that day. So I couldn't do much except to hobble into the garage from time to time and make numerous phone calls to the supervisor when I saw many things going wrong. And the installer who was Middle Eastern was merely dismissing me as being a woman who knows nothing. I hate to sterotype but I had a roommate with a Middle Eastern boyfriend. He and his friends could be very rude to us because that is just how they treat women. Not all of them I am sure. I am sure some will change their ways once they have been in this country for a while but... He was one of the sterotypical ones who does not hold women in high regard so I could see that I was getting nowhere with him. Such as when I pointed out the loose wires and the fact that the unit was shaking so hard it looked like it was about to fall down. He just said words in some other language, made some wild hand movements towards me and said that it just had to be that way.
Over the course of about three weeks they eventually came back a few times and attempted to put the job right but I seriously doubt that any one of them is actually capable of doing that. I didn't even have the right lightbulb in there! First guy said any bulb would do but the last person said not to put the CFL bulbs in there because they break too easily. He also said that a 100 watt bulb could melt the plastic cover.
Anyway... That stupid nightmare is over now.
Next job is to get the house painted but I know that the painter is good. He lives right behind me and I know his work! :) Plus my daughter goes to school with his daughter. So if something should go wrong, at least I know where to find him.
On Sunday, October 5, 2014 12:28:53 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

May I suggest a nice phosphorescent orange color for your house...as it seems to be a hazard zone in many ways. ==
Roy wrote:

Hi, Maybe smart service techs try not to come near her house? Any how, I hope she has better luck next time.
wrote in message

The guy I will hire to paint has done roofing repairs for me. I only wish I had known he was finally licensed or I would have hired him to do the roof. The roofing job was great. Only a couple of little things that got missed and I was on those like white on rice. My friend had her roof done about a year ago and she told me of things to look for. They cleaned up very well afterwards too. I have heard that often doesn't happen.
He also does windows so if and when we get the three in the front replaced, we will hire him as well.
There just seems to be a whole lot of bad repair type companies in this area. Perhaps in every area. I don't know. This is the first house I've ever owned. I was in military housing or renting prior.
On 10/6/2014 4:54 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

There are bad ones all over the place. More bad than good, it seems. The bigger the ad in the yellow pages, the worse they are, it seems. Word of mouth is the best way to find the right guys. I'm remodeling two bathrooms. No one that is doing any of the work advertises at all, yet they are very busy.
If you find a good guy, treat him well and he will treat you well and he will also know who does other types of work and who to avoid.

That's what this good guy said. He said he doesn't even advertise any more. Neither does my roofer. I saw his crew working two doors down and watched them for a while. I was pleased with the way they worked so I asked the neighbor who they were and hired them.
In wrote:

julie isn't wasting time, pico is, he started this thread. she's just defending herself
In wrote:

Julie, just ignore it. If you can deal with sqwertz you can handle this
In

Pico is another bean counter Notice too, he started this thread stirring shit and barely has participated? Coincidence? i think not

I see her as just looking for help, haven't seen it as trying to play victim or stir shit.

We both process info differently, not to say that the finer sex doesn't use their feelings more
In belched:

Are you Tony or Todd? Or Both?

YW
On 10/05/2014 02:29 PM, ChairMan wrote:

Just Todd. I probably just wrote your name and got on auto pilot and didn't realize I repeated it
Todd;3292573 Wrote: >

> the trigger. (Dry firing is bad manners, unless the owner tells you to > go ahead and feel the trigger pull, etc..)

OK, why is pulling the trigger on someone else's gun when it's not loaded considered "bad manners". Does it cause unnecessary wear on the mechanisms involved or something?
And, would the same be true for rifles and shot guns?
--
nestork

On 10/05/2014 03:09 PM, nestork wrote:

You can hurt the firing pin. And, if not, the owner may think it will. A trick to teach you not to flinch when you pull the trigger is to load a few duds into the magazine. When they don't fire, it is really obvious that you flinched.
On 10/5/2014 6:09 PM, nestork wrote:

Some guns can be damaged by dry firing. Tends to break the firing pin. Same for any rimfire or centerfire. Rifle and shotgun, also.
It's been a couple decades, and I don't remember the source. A prison guard in the tower had been dry firing the duty rifle, during a boring shift. Some time after that, a riot broke out. The guard who was then on duty needed to fire a shot, but only got a click for his trouble. Chambered another round, another click.
On 10/05/2014 05:55 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Let's hope he didn't wet himself in front of the boys!

There is the theory that it is or might be bad for the firing pin/spring, etc. More likely to be true in days of yore rather than with modern firearms. Regardless of whether it is a new firearm and not likely to be damaged by dry firing, if it is not your gun, you should not assume it is ok by the owner to dry fire it.

Some guns can break the firing pin. I have an AMT Backup DAO that the firing pin can be broken if dry fired. Many of the rim fire revolvers can also be dammaged by dry firing.
Unless the owners manual states you can dry fire a gun,I don't do it. It may or may not cause some probleems.
On Sunday, October 5, 2014 6:51:52 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:

+1
They sell special spring-loaded dry fire cartridges that can be used for dry firing to avoid any problems.