Cutting down the cost of washing machine powder

Page 2 of 2

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:52:07 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

Asda http://www.asda.co.uk/corp/storelocator_frameset/storelocator_frameset.htm
Tesco http://www.tesco.com/storeLocator /

Costco exist in the UK, and I buy my washing detergent powder in the giant boxes from there. Takes me 1-2 years to get through one. It's much cheaper than buying the regular size boxes in shops (keep an eye out for Costco special offers as you start running out), but main reason is I don't have to buy and carry it home so often. Adjust dose to match the amount of dirt you expect it to need to remove from the clothes.

Bare in mind US washing soap and European washing detergent are completely different things, because the washing machines have completely different methods of washing.
--
Andrew Gabriel

===========================================================================Thanks to all. Could you elaborate on how us and uk machines wash differently?
snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk says...

This may have been true in the past, but the US market is transitioning rapidly to Euro-style front loaders. Top loaders are hardly even advertised anymore.
Until recently, many of the US-brand front loaders were built by Electrolux AB.
Of course, ours are bigger than yours!
--Gene

I use the detergent depending on how soiled the clothes are. On my regular office clothes about 1/4 of the suggested amount. When Ive been working in the yard about 1/2. Wifes undies...double strength. Seriously though I use about 1/4 the amount unless something is really dirty or greasy. Rubbing a little Octagon soap into the dirty spots on my work clothes really helps. I didnt realize how much we were paying for laundry powders until I had to go off for training for 6wks.
Jimmie

Wow! Between 4 and 7 UK pounds for slightly over five pounds of laundry detergent; that's something of the order, in North America, of seven to ten dollars!!!! Or $2.50 per pound.
Just how much is used each wash load and in what kind of washer; because UK and European style washers I have encountered in Britain and the Middle East, in recent years are smallish front loaders? Less than half a small cup??????
Here a couple of kilos of the cheaper 'house brand' powder laundry detergent in my 20+ year old North American style washer with a couple to three loads per week, which include the odd heavy item like a very large towel, bed blankets etc. etc. lasts for at least several weeks to a couple of months plus. Only think have bought laundry detergent once, since Christmas and there is at least a third to half a box left!
Sometimes wash in warm water, if anything greasy and at other times in cold water. Washed a load tonight which included four or more towels, several shirts and socks and a pile of male underwear; wasn't a particularly heavy load btw, and used one small measure, about a cupful, of detergent.
On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 13:10:06 -0000, "john bently"

There is Naptha Laundry soap, washing soda and Mule Team Borax. There is a home recipe where you can make a laundry gel at a fraction of the cost of laundry soap powders. The home made stuff does not have some of the additives, fabric conditioners, etc.
Phisherman wrote:

I find that with softened water, I can use 1/4 to 1/3 of the recommended dose of detergent, and it still gets the clothes clean. In fact, in my previous apartment, until I cut down on the amount of detergent, I had trouble getting the clothes to rinse clean of all the soap. Had to run the washer a second time with no soap added to get the rinse water to come up clear.
-- aem sends...