CRT TV Disposal/Recycling

In another thread in this group ("Can't repair home office printer ..."), a side issue was raised about CRT TV's needing to be recycled (sometimes for a fee) instead of being put out at the curb with regular trash. One person mentioned that sometimes scrap metal people tear apart old TV's to get the "copper deflection coil".
That started me wondering if one option would be for people to disassemble old CRT TV's and separate out the parts into different categories of recycle material and dispose of them that way.
So, for whatever it is worth, I posted the following thoughts and info that I found on the Internet about this. I am just wondering what others think about this as a way of getting rid of old TV's.
Here is what I wrote:
Interesting. I never knew about that. I just did a Google search for ---> crt tv copper deflection coil <--- and the results include YouTube videos etc. on how to remove the copper from old CRT TV's. I wonder how much one typical copper deflection coil is worth as scrap these days -- probably not a lot, I assume. But, for scrappers, I guess it's one more copper item to add to their pile/collection for recycle.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=crt+tv+copper+deflection+coil
I just watched some of the YouTube videos and I checked out some of the other links.
Recycling the copper seems like a lot of work for not much copper. I think a rough estimate of the weight of the copper from the deflection coil is about 150 grams or about 0.33 pounds. I doubt that 1/3 lb of copper is worth much as scrap.
One of the videos also mention a degaussing wire around the edge of the video screen. I don't know what that would be worth.
I also remember from my younger days that CRT TV's have a dangerous high voltage charge in them that stays stored up and "hot" even with the TV off and unplugged. I do remember having to safely discharge that before working on the TV, but I didn't remember how.
Here are a couple of links that talk about that danger and how to safely do the discharge of the stored up high voltage:
http://crackedraytube.com/pdfs/oscillographic_tv_tutorial.pdf
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-take-apart-TV/

That charge is only stored for a short time. If the tv is unplugged for a few days, the charge vanishes.

In our area, electronics < loosely defined > can be dropped off as electronic waste recycling - usually placed in green shipping containers - and presumably there is some value - because some charities such as Habitat For Humanity will accept the stuff. ... who-knows-where the shipping containers end up - or how much is actually re-cycled .. ? Batteries are collected separately. The only restriction that I have seen is - at one place - they didn't accept the very large CRT televisions 37 inch +. John T.
On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 12:52:55 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Most if not all of this gets shipped to 3d world countries where they strip it for metals. These are usually toxic waste dumps when they are done.

Hopefully, these responsible re-cycling practices would help prove you wrong :
http://ontarioelectronicstewardship.ca/responsible-recycling/
John T.
On Fri, 07 Oct 2016 13:20:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

That is like "no kill" animal shelters. At a certain point they are overwhelmed by their success and people resort to other methods when they can no longer take anything in. I guarantee there are ships taking E junk to Asia or Africa as we speak.

The scrappers are starting to thin out around here. I guess that is because the construction industry is picking up again. A couple years ago, just about anything you set on the curb would be gone in a day. When the scrappers were working the curb, a few ounces of copper was a gold mine to them. They would stop and cut the power cord off of a lamp. I do think the dangers of taking TVs apart is a tad overstated. They all have bleeders on the high voltage these days and the CRTs are protected from implosion. Even if you did take a hit from the flyback, it would scare you but it wouldn't hurt you. BTDT on one that was plugged in.
TomR expressed precisely :
[...]

A shorting probe from the high voltage connection to ground.
Another thing to remember is that if you have the bleeder resistor disconnected, like having the CRT completely separated from the rest of the TV, and you have already discharged it, the charge can build back up a little. So, it is best to short it from the neck end to the HV contact end and keep it shorted.
On 10/7/2016 12:13 PM, TomR wrote:

Not worth the bother. My recycle trash collector took one a couple of years ago. I had mentioned Best Buy in another post.
In typed:

No longer true around here -- New Jersey. It is not longer legal to put them out on the regular trash or recycle trash, and they won't be picked up. And, Best Buy no longer takes them for free. You have to pay $25 each for them to accept them at Best Buy, and even then, only up to a certain size.

Herer in Ontario you pay a "WEEP" fee on all electronics at purchase - prepaying the disposal fee. There are licenced recycling contractors that will accept all e-waste free of charge. This replaces the "pay to dispose" scenario that until a few years ago resulted in a lot of illegal roadside dumping, and e-scrap being left on private property.

Here, state said manufactures were responsible for disposal. #€|#}%% Best Buy and the like, are not allowed to charge, so NO disposal. ¥£}%* So, the state set up occasional disposal points, that charge. ¥]+^%€£<!!!
We got a bunch of rivers here. If you break something up in little pieces and stick em in a box, garbage men can't see anything illegal.
Greg
the price of scrap has collapsed. its so low its not worth the effort.
i scrapped a van years ago got over 450 bucks
now 75.00 or 50 bucks
In typed:

Same here except that a few will accept the ones that have video in/out ports (or something like that) -- I believe so kids can use them with video games or to play DVD's etc..
I have been known to take out the CRT and break it into small pieces and fee3d it out in the regular garbage over a period of a few weeks, and find a place to take the rest of the set> Without the CRT, there are a few places still taking electronics.
In typed:

That is starting to become my theory -- smash it up into pieces, separate out what can be separated, then put plastic pieces in plastic recycle, metal in metal recycle (or put out for scrappers), etc, and hide the rest of the pieces in regular trash. Having to pay someone to take it so they can do essentially the same thing seems stupid to me.
On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 2:58:15 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

I did the same thing with a 34 inch CRT tv..
dumped it over a railing repeatedly it fell and smashed nicely it must of weighed 300 pounds....
after 2 drops i used a large pinch bar to break it apart futher.
the glas was unreal thick.....
because it weighed so much i put it out a little bit every week for at least 2 months..