CRT TV Disposal/Recycling

That charge is only stored for a short time. If the tv is unplugged for a few days, the charge vanishes.

Reply to
Paintedcow

In another thread in this group ("Can't repair home office printer ..."), a side issue was raised about CRT TV's needing to be recycled (sometimes for a fee) instead of being put out at the curb with regular trash. One person mentioned that sometimes scrap metal people tear apart old TV's to get the "copper deflection coil".

That started me wondering if one option would be for people to disassemble old CRT TV's and separate out the parts into different categories of recycle material and dispose of them that way.

So, for whatever it is worth, I posted the follow Interesting. I never knew about that. I just did a Google search for ---> crt tv copper deflection coil

Reply to
TomR

In our area, electronics < loosely defined > can be dropped off as electronic waste recycling - usually placed in green shipping containers - and presumably there is some value - because some charities such as Habitat For Humanity will accept the stuff. ... who-knows-where the shipping containers end up - or how much is actually re-cycled .. ? Batteries are collected separately. The only restriction that I have seen is - at one place - they didn't accept the very large CRT televisions 37 inch +. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Most if not all of this gets shipped to 3d world countries where they strip it for metals. These are usually toxic waste dumps when they are done.

Reply to
gfretwell

The scrappers are starting to thin out around here. I guess that is because the construction industry is picking up again. A couple years ago, just about anything you set on the curb would be gone in a day. When the scrappers were working the curb, a few ounces of copper was a gold mine to them. They would stop and cut the power cord off of a lamp. I do think the dangers of taking TVs apart is a tad overstated. They all have bleeders on the high voltage these days and the CRTs are protected from implosion. Even if you did take a hit from the flyback, it would scare you but it wouldn't hurt you. BTDT on one that was plugged in.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hopefully, these responsible re-cycling practices would help prove you wrong :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

TomR expressed precisely :

[...]

A shorting probe from the high voltage connection to ground.

Another thing to remember is that if you have the bleeder resistor disconnected, like having the CRT completely separated from the rest of the TV, and you have already discharged it, the charge can build back up a little. So, it is best to short it from the neck end to the HV contact end and keep it shorted.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

That is like "no kill" animal shelters. At a certain point they are overwhelmed by their success and people resort to other methods when they can no longer take anything in. I guarantee there are ships taking E junk to Asia or Africa as we speak.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not worth the bother. My recycle trash collector took one a couple of years ago. I had mentioned Best Buy in another post.

Reply to
Frank

the price of scrap has collapsed. its so low its not worth the effort.

i scrapped a van years ago got over 450 bucks

now 75.00 or 50 bucks

Reply to
bob haller

Same here except that a few will accept the ones that have video in/out ports (or something like that) -- I believe so kids can use them with video games or to play DVD's etc..

Reply to
TomR

In news:nt8qnu$icl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Frank" > (sometimes for a fee) instead of being put out at the curb with

No longer true around here -- New Jersey. It is not longer legal to put them out on the regular trash or recycle trash, and they won't be picked up. And, Best Buy no longer takes them for free. You have to pay $25 each for them to accept them at Best Buy, and even then, only up to a certain size.

Reply to
TomR

I have been known to take out the CRT and break it into small pieces and fee3d it out in the regular garbage over a period of a few weeks, and find a place to take the rest of the set> Without the CRT, there are a few places still taking electronics.

Reply to
hrhofmann

That is starting to become my theory -- smash it up into pieces, separate out what can be separated, then put plastic pieces in plastic recycle, metal in metal recycle (or put out for scrappers), etc, and hide the rest of the pieces in regular trash. Having to pay someone to take it so they can do essentially the same thing seems stupid to me.

Reply to
TomR

Herer in Ontario you pay a "WEEP" fee on all electronics at purchase - prepaying the disposal fee. There are licenced recycling contractors that will accept all e-waste free of charge. This replaces the "pay to dispose" scenario that until a few years ago resulted in a lot of illegal roadside dumping, and e-scrap being left on private property.

Reply to
clare

I did the same thing with a 34 inch CRT tv..

dumped it over a railing repeatedly it fell and smashed nicely it must of weighed 300 pounds....

after 2 drops i used a large pinch bar to break it apart futher.

the glas was unreal thick.....

because it weighed so much i put it out a little bit every week for at least 2 months..

Reply to
bob haller

Here, state said manufactures were responsible for disposal. #?|#}%% Best Buy and the like, are not allowed to charge, so NO disposal. ¥£}%* So, the state set up occasional disposal points, that charge. ¥]+^%?£

Reply to
gregz