thickness jam gauge

I have a dough sheeter, which has two adjustable rollers for establishing the thickness of a sheet of dough. There are no measurement indicators on the machine, so I am looking for a gauge to jam in between the rollers to measure their separation, i.e. the thickness of the resulting dough sheet.

Something like the old spark plug gap setting jam gauge, I suppose.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Taxed and Spent posted for all of us...

Feeler gauges, vernier calipers, wooden blocks, paint marks for most used settings...

Reply to
Tekkie®

calipers won't fit, but darned if I forgot all about feeler gauges! thanks.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

I'm presuming these aren't precision measurements nor particularly thin...what about a few plexiglass shims or the like? I'd think 1/32" would be more than enough discrimination...what's the desired range?

Reply to
dpb

zero to 0.25 inches. I haven't figured out exactly what I want to go construct anything yet, but feeler gauges might be a good start (though perhaps a clumsy start, if I need to add a couple together).

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Take a look at this set of long feeler gauges.

Stormin' Norman

yikes - expensive. Actually regular feeler gauges will be long enough, and if I combine two, three, or four thicknesses I can get most anything. if I zero in on a particular thickness that is the cat's meow, I can make a dedicated gauge from wood, plastic, etc.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

The same link has shorter gauges for much less. It sounded like you were using these for an industrial application.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

oooh! this is what I was thinking of!

Taxed and Spent

That should give you a relative measurement but probably not an accurate measurement of the gap between two cylindrical rollers. I think feeler gauges would be a better choice.

Is this for a commercial / industrial application or is this for home use? If home use, then I doubt it would make a big difference.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

home use, with a dough sheeter. This will be close enough - repeatably is more important than precision.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Yeah, then you can use anything. I thought you were involved with a commercial bakery producing croissants or a food manufacturer making something like pastry dough or pasta.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Allen wrenches?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I will be doing all of that. But not every day, so I want to figure something out, take notes, and go back to it again in a couple months without having to re-invent the wheel.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Hotel key cards (and similar cards) measure in at 1/32". I save all of mine. They may good spreaders, shims, etc.

Since they're plastic, they would be easy for you to keep clean considering they are being used on a food related appliance.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

good idea. thanks.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

That's what precision is, ITYM it is more important than 'accuracy'.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

right you are.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Micrometers? Long feeler gauges? What fits!? What's the cost?

Have you tried putting a piece of dough thru the machine and roughly measuring the dough?

(I thought this woulda been the obvious answer, but I guess not ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

measuring the dough would not help in resetting the rollers next time, without guesswork.

Feeler gauge would be the best answer, or the tapered gauge I posted earlier. I have one on order and will see how it works in this application.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent